Cannondale Trail SL - Re-build

gjt
gjt Posts: 38
edited July 2012 in Your mountain bikes
So after saving my pennies and buying new bits for the last few months I finally had everything I needed to completely rebuild my Cannondale.

I've been using the bike for my daily commute to the station but wanted something that's still good for the commute but also for some quick blasts around Delamere Forest after work now that the summers coming.

Before the build the bike was specced exactly the same as the day day I bought it, Deore groupset, RST First forks Tektro Auriga Comp brakes, heavy Maddux rims and various bits of Cannondale finishing kit:

imag0317x.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And now I have this:

p1020803nu.jpg

p1020809j.jpg

Frame: Cannondale Trail SL (2010)
Forks: Rockshox Reba RL 120mm
Bars: Raceface Evolve
Stem: Raceface Deus
Headset: Hope Pick 'n' Mix, top & bottom 1.5 - 1.125 reducer and Hope head doctor
Grips: SRAM lock on

Brakes: Avid Elixir 5, 160mm rotors

Shifters: Shimano Deore 3 x 9
Front Mech: Shimano SLX
Rear Mech: Shimano SLX

Seat: Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow
Seat Post: Easton EA70
Seat Post Clamp: Cannondale

Chainset: Shimano SLX
Chain: SRAM PC971
Cassette: Shimano SLX, 9 Speed
Pedals: Cranks Brother Candy 2 - Red & Black
Bottom Bracket: Shimano SLX

Rims: DT Swiss XR400
Spokes: ACI DB Black
Hubs: SRAM X9 - White
Tyres: Panaracer Mach SS

Weight - not sure, but hopefully somewhere between 11 - 12 kgs

I stripped and rebuilt the bike myself, it's the first time I've done this and went better than I expected. I'm really pleased with the outcome. Anyway, let me know what you think.....

Comments

• Jez87
    Jez87 Posts: 29
    You have inspired me to re-build my Cannondale trail! I have already bought some new Rock Shox Reba's. How much did this all cost?
  • gjt
    If I listen to the missus then too much, but about a grand all in (including tools). The only parts that survived were the frame, the shifters and the seatpost collar. It was something I'd been thinking about for a while but it was fun and the bike rides like new. The new parts have helped to save a load of weight too so it climbs quicker and you can throw it about a bit more easily. Well worth every penny in my eyes.

What are you looking at doing to yours?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Coolio...
  • Jez87
    I'm not sure yet just going to upgrade bit by bit but it will probably end up with a spec similar to yours. Is the frame on yours a large or XL?
  • Jez87
    How easy was it to fit the chainset? I'm wondering whether it would be better to take it to a bike shop. I have my Rock Shox Reba's fitted already they are so smooth compared to the crappy RST's.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Thread hijack.

I have done a very similar job to this with an '11 Trail SL3, although I'm still on the stock wheels and added full 10-speed SLX drivetrain and XT brakes. Makes a big difference, and when the wheels are changed in August it'll be even better.

I ended up getting LBS to take the old Octalink BB out - there was nothing wrong with it but I couldn't get one side to budge. I did the rest at home - found the SLX Hollowtech easy enough to get in, and I'm pretty useless.
  • Those Rebas look extremely nice on that. Makes me want some now. Nice job!
  • gjt
    Cheers mate. The Rebas are brilliant, I don't think you can do any better for the money, I'd highly recommend them. I've been away for two weeks so looking forward to getting out on the bike tomorrow!!!
  • gjt
    Jez 87, sorry for the slow reply. The chainset was really easy to fit, I did exactly the same as EH_Rob, LBS to remove the BB on the chainring side as I couldn't shift it but fitted the BB and chainset myself. I bought an all in one toolset from Chain Reaction which had everything I needed. The tools are of average quality but are more than up to the job for occasional use.
  • Jez87
    Cool thats good to know I will fit them myself then and save some pennies :) need to buy some first tho haha....So far all I have bought is the Reba's and a new DT Swiss wheelset...brakes and chainset next :)