Kona Tanuki - suitable rear shock upgrade

Danlube
Danlube Posts: 454
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello everyone,

I couldn't find anything via search that answered my question so here goes,

Had my Tanuki just over a year now, despite everyone quoting the ''rear shock is the first thing to go'' I ignored feeling it would up to the job for a while. So i invested in other areas of the bike first (drivetrain, brakes, stem and dropper post) to really make it a capable trail bike. Now the time has come where i feel that the rear shock is putting up a brick wall on the trail ahead.

Been doing some calculations and it seems the front end is capable of taking a 140mm up front, great!

However i doubt the rear end is gonna take a 140mm, the swing arm looks like its gonna jarr n lock itself out. I have some crazy idea that i have seen other riders doing, that's using an offset bushing on the bottom of the shock to slacken everything up. If i did this do you think a 140mm will work in the rear?

If not, any recommendations on a suitable shock (preferably Fox) The current shock has an eye to eye of 7.5''

Kind Regards, Dan.
Kona Tanuki Deluxe

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    offset shock bushes will not give you more travel.
    more stroke is just likley to get parts hitting each other.

so you are thinking of offset bushes and a longer shoch with more stroke?
    well i dont quite thing the offset bushes will give you enough length to what i think you are thinking of.

but i would not be doing that any way as it will cause the DU bushes to wear out faster.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    Thanks for reply, that idea has finally been laid to rest.

Rear shocks baffle me. The current shock is the Fastrax AF2. CRC/ebay has endless shock options.

How do i work out the stroke length of the Fastrax AF2?
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Danlube wrote:
    Thanks for reply, that idea has finally been laid to rest.

Rear shocks baffle me. The current shock is the Fastrax AF2. CRC/ebay has endless shock options.

How do i work out the stroke length of the Fastrax AF2?
    on here, http://www.konaworld.com/konart/files/d ... chBook.pdf down near the bottom of the page, Tanuki Deluxe stroke 2" - 51mm , if thats any help
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown