Show me your BB30 Chainset

acidstrato
acidstrato Posts: 945
edited July 2012 in Road general
As per title

if you have a BB30 chainset your proud of, this is the place to show it off. I need ideas

cheers
Crafted in Italy apparantly

Comments

• Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    I have a bb30 fitted to my Boardman and its not half as good as the Shimao Ultegra fitted to my other bike.

In a year i have had to have the bearings replaced after 3 months and regreased again after a further 6 months. My LBS says he gets more work servicing bb30 than any other bottom bracket.

I will steer well clear in future..
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You don't need to see it, you'll hear it coming....creak, creak, creak
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • acidstrato
    really that bad? they seem to be slowly increasing in popularity with frame manufacturers, thought it was meant to be direction all frames were heading.

oh dear perhaps I should do abit more review reading
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    For balance.. not a single issue with mine in 2 years..
    its a Cannondale frame - so quality to start with :wink: and FSA sl-k light carbon crankset
    maybe I'm just lucky amongst the how many sold around the world..?
  • i have found the only way to stop the creaking noise is to replace the bearings on a regular basis only a £10 er so not the end of the world oh and use plenty of grease :)
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    003.JPG

That's mine - sram standard bearings.

No noise at all - no problems (done about 1,500 miles) and unlike my previous standard BB Rival and Apex chainsets - I get no noise at all when I am out of the saddle and pushing hard - it feels like I have no flex at all (though obviously there must be some). It was a self build.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    correctly made bb30 will not creak, maybe shoddy will, so will a crap/badly fitted threaded bb

sram s975 crankset, sram bearings, 20 months of all weather riding, no creaks, no play, smooth bearings, flip the cranks and they spin 6-7 times before stopping

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    My Cannondale has done nearly 4,000 miles and only recently started to creak, cured it with a little grease. I've heard plenty of horror stories involving Boardman BB30 bikes though.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    ror3h wrote:
    My Cannondale has done nearly 4,000 miles and only recently started to creak, cured it with a little grease. I've heard plenty of horror stories involving Boardman BB30 bikes though.

8 or 9 months then?

Presumably press-fitted BBs are purely a cost-saving improvement for manufacturers.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    2 points about bb30

1. Well maintained they work well. However the maintenance interval very much depends on the type of riding you do. if it's a summer "good" bike then go for it. Otherwise if it's a general do it all commuting / training / fun bike (like mine) then you'll find the service intervals will become a bit of a chore. Sadly riding home in the biblical storm we had in newcastle last thursday has meant that my BB needs to be serviced again (now 3 times in 16 months)

2. BB30 cranksets generally cost almost double their standard equivalent.
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    apologies double post
  • acidstrato
    tbh 3 times in 16 months all weather riding is pretty good imo.

With HollowTech II Cups I've had to clean them up before winter, then after winter to keep them quiet and replaced them after 2 years.

Think I'm going for a Rotor 3D+ chainset so theres only 1 type to buy anyway £420 for cranks and Q rings from Bike24. Atleast that way, if BB30 is shit then I can get a conversion kit to threaded BB and run the same chainset still
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    DesWeller wrote:
    Presumably press-fitted BBs are purely a cost-saving improvement for manufacturers.

Or is it a way of getting around the Brit / Ital threads of regular BB's? I'm not expert, but press-fit sounds a lot more universal...
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Leeuw wrote:
    I'm not expert, but press-fit sounds a lot more universal...

Only if people subscribe to the standard, surely? If I decide to make a BB31 and go for a different diameter then...
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    DrKJM wrote:
    Leeuw wrote:
    I'm not expert, but press-fit sounds a lot more universal...

Only if people subscribe to the standard, surely? If I decide to make a BB31 and go for a different diameter then...

Too right - who knows how many options we will end up with. I wait to be corrected, but I was thinking that PressFit seems to do away with the Ital/Eng thread bit - so only half as many options ultimately (at least until the next R&D meeting at SRAM/Campag/Shimano* delete as applicable