Coast to coast

Marc0_11
Marc0_11 Posts: 39
edited July 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hello there can anyone help me?

Me and a couple of mate are looking to do the c2c Whitehaven to sunderland/Hartlepool. We all have road bike so I'm wondering if anyone knows of an all Tarmac route across? Cheers

Comments

• dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    you can do it on a road bike, there are on road /off road sections, also if you look at an os map you can take out some of the minor road sections that sustrans always use even if it means mile of minor to avoid 150 yds on main road, its a good route, and if you want to come back the reivers route is superb, if you camping you have no issues, b n b is always more complex
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Here you go, this was our route that we did on the road bikes last September,

Day One

Day Two

But don't underestimate it, it is a hard ride especially when your carrying your gear and we stopped in the YHA In Alston, only coz all the B&Bs were full though! If you zoom in on Alston at the end of day one, and look at the GPS track you'll see what I mean. :mrgreen:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • Marc0_11
    Thanks guys. Alan is that route purely Tarmac? Also did you use touring tyres?
  • AlanW
    Marc0_11 wrote:
    Thanks guys. Alan is that route purely Tarmac? Also did you use touring tyres?

I used ProRace II tyres actually, which weren't ideal with loaded panniers to be honest. :shock:

The only section that isn't properly tarmaced is on the second day at about the 24 mile mark, just after Parkhead Station along Waskerley Way. But if you look at the map you can carry on along the B6278 and it takes you to the same place.

But we choose it because it looked more interesting than the other option, and I am glad that we did.
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • Marc0_11
    So was that route a mixture of road and the sustrains cycle way?
  • AlanW
    Marc0_11 wrote:
    So was that route a mixture of road and the sustrains cycle way?

Yes