Under notice of redundancy

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
7:00am Nice Monday morning (actually felt good for a change), get up ready for work and planning the day. No appointments so that means I can spend the day catching up on admin and chasing current applications.

9:15am Regional director and Area Manager turn up to call a meeting for all staff.

Turns out some of the branches are underperforming (easy to underperfom since we work to 2006/2007 targets) and the board have decided there is likely to be some closures/redundancies.

So 3+ years service and being one of the regions top producers in my role counts for f**k all at this moment, at the end of July I am going to be out of a job. Don't you just love a recession.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Sorry to hear that.

Dust off that CV and get on the blower.
  • snoopsmydogg
    already started, just had first phone interview for a temporary post and apparently I am now being emailed an online questionaire

How things have changed
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Sounds good.

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but if it's a while since you were last in an interview it's worth getting a good practice in, and be well prepared - especially on the phone, where people can sound either much better or much worse than they actually are. I occasionally tell candidates to practice over the phone with their gf if they have one...
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    7:00am Nice Monday morning (actually felt good for a change), get up ready for work and planning the day. No appointments so that means I can spend the day catching up on admin and chasing current applications.

9:15am Regional director and Area Manager turn up to call a meeting for all staff.

Turns out some of the branches are underperforming (easy to underperfom since we work to 2006/2007 targets) and the board have decided there is likely to be some closures/redundancies.

So 3+ years service and being one of the regions top producers in my role counts for f**k all at this moment, at the end of July I am going to be out of a job. Don't you just love a recession.

Sorry to hear that, i've been in the same situation myself in the past and it's crap i know.

Try to remember that there are jobs out there for experienced people who are good at what they do, chin up and i am sure it will all come good.

Best of luck
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Life can be sh1te, been there, got no T-shirt and soon spent the redundancy payment. However, lets get you prepared for the next one ASAP.

We can give you a mock interview and you need to be prepared for a diverse range of applications 'cos its a rough jobs market at the moment and you may face some difficult questions.
    Here goes, straight in at the deep end:

Why do you want to want to be pimp?
    How would you maximise the potential of the staff?
    What sort of merchandising do you think would fully exploit the unexplored avenues in the Cheap 'n' cheerful massage parlour?
    What sort of products would you sell in the vending machines in the private rooms?
    What sort of products would you sell in the vending machines in the non-private rooms?
    Why do you look so petrified?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • snoopsmydogg
    spent all of yesterday browsing the sites I could (company internet does not allow recruitment sites). Over a dozen cvs emailed/handed over. No pimp jobs in or around Darlington Pinarello, shame really i might look good in the purple suit and hat :wink:

got to get back into work mode today though. might be out of a job but dont want folk losing their homes.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I may be wrong, but my understanding of being under notice of redundancy doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be made redundant.

I've had a few friends put under notice, and it basically means that the whole department was put under notice, they then had to, essentially, interview for their own job. If a department has to cut it's head count, then they can't just pick an individual, and get rid (unless that specific role is redundant). They have to put everyone on notice and re-interview to select those to be made redundant. If you're one of the top performers, then you might be ok.

Good luck !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    spent all of yesterday browsing the sites I could (company internet does not allow recruitment sites). Over a dozen cvs emailed/handed over. No pimp jobs in or around Darlington Pinarello, shame really i might look good in the purple suit and hat :wink:

got to get back into work mode today though. might be out of a job but dont want folk losing their homes.

No pimp jobs in Darlington, its not called Darlington for nothing. Oh well, Plymouth has lots of openings on that front :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Commiserations about your news, but legal requirement is that they have to go through a process of consultation, either individually or collectively, particularly if it involves more than 20 people at one location.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10026616
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • snoopsmydogg
    fist consultation is tomorrow but more of a formality really. I already know there are no vacancies in the company i work for but there are a couple elsewhere so have already applied.

must have spent most of the last 3 days scouring the web, calling companies & agencies and emailing my c.v. wherever I can.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    A fist consultation eh..... what line of work did you say you were in?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Sorry to hear about this, hope something comes your way soon.

All the best :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • snoopsmydogg
    ok so a little update.

had first consultation on thurs and nothing in the company to offer me. now i hear there may be an interested party that may wish to keep my role open.

how does this leave my rights? do I have to take the role (if offered) or sacrifice redundancy settlement? not really knowing the prospective owner and being under notice has shattered my confidence in the company and I already have a few interviews lined up.

not sure i want to leave but certainly wouldnt if i had to sacrifice the settlement.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    In my many, many experiences of redundancies, unless the payment will be life changing I would suggest that chances are that you are better off out of it - If you can get a job lined up.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    daviesee wrote:
    In my many, many experiences of redundancies, unless the payment will be life changing I would suggest that chances are that you are better off out of it - If you can get a job lined up.

You not too good at keeping jobs?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    jim453 wrote:

You not too good at keeping jobs?
    That raises a very good question about job security. I have just checked my C.V.

I have had 21 jobs over a 33 year period - 5 as (permanent?) staff, 16 as freelance contractor.

Of the (permanent?) staff jobs I was made redundant 5 out of 5. Two of these jobs only lasted a year. Economic times innit? :x In one office of 13, there was to be 11 redundancies. Volunteers were asked for and 12 of us did (even with no jobs to go to), with one very unhappy bunny. Working in a place effectively being wound down is no fun.

Of the freelance contract jobs, I have been laid off 3 out of 16, with me choosing to move to a better contract the other 13. A couple of the contracts lasted longer than any of the staff positions.

That would indicate that working freelance has as much security :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.