Headset for 09 Giant Trance

absv
absv Posts: 149
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm building up a 2009 Giant Trance and am 99% sure I need an Internal/Zero stack headset from looking in the FAQ's. Can someone confirm this and maybe suggest a semi-decent one please hopefully around the £30 ish mark if that's enough. Fork is a 1 1/8 straight steerer.

The one that came with the frame had a cone shape between the headset and stem, is this just a spacer and does the new headset have to have one of these too? The bike is a fresh build, with new forks, stem etc so if I don't need the 'spacer' that would be great!

Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so does the frame have cups pressed into it? or should it have some?
    what is the diameter of the hole?

the cone is reuseable.

cant you just buy new bearings? what did the old ones say? or take them to a bearing shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • absv
    edited July 2012
    This was in the frame:

e8a21b1e.jpg

fe0b086d.jpg

The frame is away being powder coated at the moment but the diameter of the inside of the cups is between 1 1/4 and 1 1/8. I'd like to get rid of the cone as I think my fork steerer will be too short with it. The only markings on all of the bits pictured is the white FSA writing. The cups (or whati think are cups) have bearings in them and it doesn't look like they'll come out without wrecking them.

EDIT: The Crane Creek website says the bike comes with SHIS: ZS44 28.6 / ZS44 30 headset as standard if that helps?
  • nicklouse
    yep internal-zerostack.

nasty loose ball one there.

any will fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • absv
    nicklouse wrote:
    yep internal-zerostack.

nasty loose ball one there.

any will fit.

Cheers Nick!
  • nicklouse
    as long as you have enough insertion depth, i would wait and check how far the cups can be pressed in.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    nicklouse wrote:
    as long as you have enough insertion depth, i would wait and check how far the cups can be pressed in.

9mm internal to the milled lip top and bottom Andy :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • absv
    1mancity2 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

9mm internal to the milled lip top and bottom Andy :wink:

Cheers Ali, looks like it'll fit then :D
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Sorry to drag up yet another old post.

I'm looking at getting a new hope headset for my 2009 trance x1 to fit with my new forks, unfortunately I'm out of the country and can't check the old one easily.

I've read on here and other places that its zero stack (integral hope one I believe) but the spec I can find for the bike says integrated.

I've contacted merlin and a giant dealer, neither could help, although the giant dealer could get my the original headset and I've also contacted hope themselves although I'm yet to hear anything from them.

Can anyone on here confirm which hope headset I'd need to order?

Thanks
  • Headset diameter is 44mm. Just get the Hope internal (or what they call 'Integral' on the website) headset non-tapered 1 1/8th and you'll be fine.