installing blackspire stinger

coblck
coblck Posts: 217
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Will be installing this chain tensioner bottom bracket type tomorrow will I need a new chain as well or can I use my current one.
Giant tcr pro ultegra
Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
Voodoo Marasa 2011

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    maybe.

how many rings now and after?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • coblck
    No change of rings 2x9 setup 36-22 at front just since I changed last month noticed alot of chin noise over the bumpy stuff. Also using gs xt rear mech and hope bashguard on six double crank. Everything works great just noisy so that this singer would work
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not a chain tensioner, it adds no tension.

If your chain is spot on for size now you'll need a new one (or lengthen it), if its too long now (most seem to be) you probably won't. Check out the chain length guides in the 2 links in Nick's sig.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    Not a chain tensioner, it adds no tension.

If your chain is spot on for size now you'll need a new one (or lengthen it), if its too long now (most seem to be) you probably won't. Check out the chain length guides in the 2 links in Nick's sig.
    the new length will be longer with the device than with out the device. Or if you leave it correct for without the device you will not be able to use the two big rings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • coblck
    Sorry guys you've lost me new chain with stinger or not or just try and see thanks
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • The Rookie
    Without knowing if your chain is sized right now, how the hell can we tell you?

Did you look at the chain sizing guides at all?

If it's right now it WILL be too short, that doesn't mean you need a new chain as you could extend it (another powerlink and a short length of spare), if it's too long now it may be the right length.

Answer all the variables* and I can tell you if you need a new chain or not, but you'd have worked it out for yourself by then!

*variables
    Is you chain the right length or too long
    Do you have any spare chain
    Can you get a short length of chain
    Do you have spare powerlinks

If the answers are Yes, no, no, no you need a new chain, if not you may still need a new chain.

Sorry but the crystal ball is in for service right now otherwise I could tell you yes or no.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • coblck
    ok will need a new chain then great more cash thanks again thought I would. Chain is perfect size just now maybe hold
    Of fitting stinger for the moment
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • The Rookie
    GRRRRRRR is the current chain the right size according to the sizing guides? Don't assume it's right, check!
  • coblck
    chain is correct size so according to what is being said need new chain. Going by parker chain guide looks bang on.
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • coblck
    Update stinger fitted and all ok chain was little to big so once device on everything perfect, very very slight rub when in small ring front granny back but will can live with it probably down to the stinger being a little thivker than 2.5mm spacer putting chainline very slightly out. all other gears bang on looks good with hope bash and slx cranks. thanks to everyone for there help.
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Chainline out?
    Should be fine.
  • coblck
    Should be out 0.5mm as stinger thicker than spacer on bb cup
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • The Rookie
    coblck wrote:
    chain is correct size
    coblck wrote:
    chain was little to big
    You may want a second opinion!

Chain may be rubbing as you've not preloaded the BB properly based on your skills in chain measuring.
  • nicklouse
    coblck wrote:
    Update stinger fitted and all ok chain was little to big so once device on everything perfect, very very slight rub when in small ring front granny back but will can live with it probably down to the stinger being a little thivker than 2.5mm spacer putting chainline very slightly out. all other gears bang on looks good with hope bash and slx cranks. thanks to everyone for there help.
    WTF?

get the trems right. the Granny ring is the small ring on the front. what ring you are in in the rear who knowns.

so what is rubbing on what no idea. what to do to help you? nothing as no one knows what you are on about.
  • coblck
    oh to be as good as some folk eh
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • The Rookie
    If you don't try you won't succeed, rule one is don't use terms you don't actually understand as it makes you look dumber than using descriptive words that people understand!
  • coblck
    and what term do I not understand
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    coblck wrote:
    and what term do I not understand

granny back
  • coblck
    just a typing mistake that's all anyway no harm done all good here bike checked out from local bike shop and good to go was INSTALLED correct thanks again
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Can't add much to this discussion but i've just got my bike shop to install a blackspire stinger and it apparently took them all morning (and then cost me more in labour, which is fair enough I guess!). Glad I didn't try to do it myself now :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    huh? That doesn't sound right. I installed mine in about 20mins. And it was a BB mount.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • coblck
    glad to hear you've got your stinger fitted ok sounds like the shop had a bit of a nightmare mate, just had a good blast on mine this afternoon and this evening and all good here hardly any chain noise over the ruff stuff, stinger runs virtually silent as well. Didnt take me long to fit after initial doubt of chain length would say about 45 mins all in (including making tea).
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    miss notax wrote:
    Can't add much to this discussion but i've just got my bike shop to install a blackspire stinger and it apparently took them all morning (and then cost me more in labour, which is fair enough I guess!). Glad I didn't try to do it myself now :lol:

Jesus!

That wasn't GA was it?
  • The Rookie
    We fitted the stinger to my daughters in about 15 minutes....that included swapping the ring from 34 to 32.

They saw you coming........
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    We fitted the stinger to my daughters in about 15 minutes....that included swapping the ring from 34 to 32.

They saw you coming........
    You know how people say all Halford's are bad and all LBSs are perfect......

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    Indeed.......

I'd certainly expect any bike shop to justify in detail why it took more than 30 minutes, unless you paid for 10 tea breaks as well while they thought about it!