Brake replacement for a Hardrock Sport disc

smartn
smartn Posts: 27
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of brake replacement for a hardrock sport disc 2011. I don't know much about this kind of stuff but was wondering if replacement of the mechanical disc with hydraulic would be an option and would it be worth the cost for the bike I've got? I find performance in the wet particularly bad on the BB5's and they seem to need constant adjustment.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the only better mechanical brake is the BB7. I would first look to new pads and a clean.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Drzoidberg
    Drzoidberg Posts: 122
    I stuck some Avid Juicy's onto my Hardrock, got them in the sale £70 ish I think for the pair - all good to go (no bleeding or messing about), spent £4 on a torque tool thing and fitted em.

Go hydraulic - mech discs are a nightmare in my opinion
  • smartn
    Thanks for the replies. I am thinking Avid Elixir 5 at the moment, any opinions?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd probably go for a set of Deore M596 if it were me
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • smartn
    Thanks again for the replies. The M596's look good as well. Could I use my existing rotors (160mm G2 clean sweep) with the M596's? The description also says comes without adaptors or rotors, which adaptors if any would I need to buy?
  • felix.london
    You should be able to use your current adapters & rotors

You can get the M596's (levers, callipers, fully bled and ready to fit) from Rose Bikes in Germany for about £80 delivered but they'll be back to front i.e left front brake, right rear brake. So if you don't mind that or don't mind swapping the hoses over (a bit fiddly but not a hard job) they're a bargain.

Otherwise CRC do a set ready to fit for £100 (free delivery and no hassle)

Trek Session 8
  • smartn
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I can get them from Merlin cycles for about £90 delivered so I am going to go with that.
  • felix.london
    Good call!

Btw - The only thing that is still original spec on my 2006 Rockhopper (except the frame!) is the Deore M525 brakes. They're great stoppers and I'm using them on some pretty steep & gnarly stuff over in the Alps and they're still working perfectly

Trek Session 8