Bottom Bracket. What is it?

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
Trying to get this right.

due to complaints Cake stop became CS & BB, therefore.....

CS for light hearted banter and day to day chat

BB for those not easily offended (it does come with a warning and you need to be logged in to see it)

Is that right?

It seems that even though a section was made for possibly offensive chat it still isn't acceptable to some. This has shown either one of two things.

Cake stop should have stayed with slightly more moderation, ie similar to BB now but without the need for 2 sections

or

some folk on here are just never going to be happy

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    maybe we need another sub forum and just ban communters. I think the mods need to grow up. There are more threads being deleted now than are actually being created.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    I suppose you're at least partly referring to the joke thread, that was way ott in my opinion.
    FWIW I wasn't one of those complaining about the old Cake Stop but even if there are fewer limits there always will be limits and sometimes people will cross them.

That's all really.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    maybe we need another sub forum and just ban communters. I think the mods need to grow up. There are more threads being deleted now than are actually being created.
    totally wrong as usual.

1 post has been moved out of the BB due to it having 9 reported posts in it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cleat Eastwood
    nicklouse wrote:
    totally wrong as usual.

Nope I think I was right.
  • snoopsmydogg
    iainment wrote:
    I suppose you're at least partly referring to the joke thread, that was way ott in my opinion.
    FWIW I wasn't one of those complaining about the old Cake Stop but even if there are fewer limits there always will be limits and sometimes people will cross them.

That's all really.

Partly the joke thread, people having opinions is what the internet is all about to me at least. Also certain things are taken the wrong way and/or in the wrong context but personal insults/attacks are uncalled for.

I used to frequent a different site where there was an anything goes section. You had to be logged in to see it and there was a banner similar to BB (if you are easily offended stay out) but it worked. The rest of the site ran with different segments similar to BR but no one really complained or if they did it was pointed out how they got there in the first place. if it got personal then mods intervened just as they did on here.

One voice does not make a forum but it seems some on here are louder than others. Don't know if it's time registered or post count but it's just the way it appears.

I'm not knocking what the mods did re CS & BB since it could work very well but just trying to work out the differences other than having to be logged in and a girls in..... thread. :?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    iainment wrote:

That's all really.

Indeed but what was interesting iain was that rather than argue your perspective you chose to - in a sense- defame Matt.

And once again we see a supposed adults having their sensibilities offended and believeing that all should then follow their beliefs. If people dont like BB, dont go in there, thats the point of its creation - or of course people could grow up, and gain some perpspective.
  • iainment
    iainment wrote:

That's all really.

Indeed but what was interesting iain was that rather than argue your perspective you chose to - in a sense- defame Matt.

And once again we see a supposed adults having their sensibilities offended and believeing that all should then follow their beliefs. If people dont like BB, dont go in there, thats the point of its creation - or of course people could grow up, and gain some perpspective.

Well I think he defamed himself actually, and I did argue my perspective I thought. But that's just interpretation.
    If you want a limitless thread I suppose you'll have to start your own site given that BR seem unwilling to allow that luxury and impose their own limits to what can be posted.
    Personally I don't think jokes about using children sexually are defendable and when posted need to be challenged.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    iainment wrote:
    iainment wrote:

That's all really.

Well I think he defamed himself actually, and I did argue my perspective I thought. But that's just interpretation.
    If you want a limitless thread I suppose you'll have to start your own site given that BR seem unwilling to allow that luxury and impose their own limits to what can be posted.
    Personally I don't think jokes about using children sexually are defendable and when posted need to be challenged.

No. What actually happened is that you essentially called me a paedophile.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    nicklouse wrote:
    totally wrong as usual.

I assume that the complaints were about the jokes, as despite the personal attacks on myself, I didn't complain.
  • iainment
    MattC59 wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    iainment wrote:

That's all really.

I said that I'd be wary of someone normalising sex with children in a joke.
    If you can't see how offensive that those jokes are then you have a bit of a problem.
    I don't know if you are a paedophile or not but making that type of joke does mean that I wouldn't want you near my kids.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Cleat Eastwood
    iainment wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    iainment wrote:

That's all really.

If you can't see how offensive that those jokes are then you have a bit of a problem.
    I don't know if you are a paedophile or not but making that type of joke does mean that I wouldn't want you near my kids.

But aren't most cases of sexual abuse carried out by family members/parents? Statistically you are more likely to be an abuser than matt.

Like I said - some people need perspective - some people need to grow up.
  • iainment
    iainment wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    iainment wrote:

That's all really.

But aren't most cases of sexual abuse carried out by family members/parents? Statistically you are more likely to be an abuser than matt.

Like I said - some people need perspective - some people need to grow up.

Yes and stop telling jokes about using kids sexually. Why people are surprised that jokes like that effect how the poster is thought of is beyond me.

If I go round spouting off about something controversial then people will form an opinion of me based on that, as you may have done already. If you posted a joke about sexually using a child and then prattled on about the right to do this. I would form an opinion, within which would be the poissibility that the person would not necessarily be the right person to be around children. Now I might be wrong but I wouldn't be prepared to risk my children.
    And yes most abuse is within the family - but not all of it. So I'd still be wary.

If you value your reputation then don't risk it for the sake of a few stupid, indefensible jokes.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    don't know the joke concerned, but i do know certain humour is not always appreciated by some people, there are jokes i will only 'share' with people who i know will take them in the context that they are meant, the trouble with open forums is some will take them the 'wrong' way as it were, and seek to impose their moral compass on people they do not really know.

i think chris morris did a good job on this subject with his Brass Eye, it went over the tops of most peoples heads, moral panickers tend to be the first to lose perspective, but make an inverse amount of noise.

there are great jokes about every subject that you can think of-- -- just have to be a bit selective who you tell em to sometimes
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    It seems Bottom Bracket is somewhere where you can accuse other posters of paedophilia with no evidence whatsoever.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    don't know the joke concerned, but i do know certain humour is not always appreciated by some people, there are jokes i will only 'share' with people who i know will take them in the context that they are meant,

Interestingly enough it was the issue of context that started the discussion - and to be fair to those involved they did try to be reasonable with their ponts of view - but as with all emotive/socially taboo issues reason often takes a back seat. At least I admitted to being a coward with a small penis. :D
  • iainment
    siamon wrote:
    It seems Bottom Bracket is somewhere where you can accuse other posters of paedophilia with no evidence whatsoever.
    If you tell obnoxious jokes about sexually using children then it shouldn't be a surprise if people object.
    If you then prattle on about context, humourlessness and defend the right to tell this sort of joke then opinions will be made.
    So whilst I don't think that anyone was actually accused of paedophilia what they were accused of was normalising that type of abuse by having a laugh about it.
    FWIW I think that those who posted the jokes probably are just ignorant of the issues involved and when challenged weren't able to back down because of their perceived loss of face.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • MattC59
    don't know the joke concerned, but i do know certain humour is not always appreciated by some people, there are jokes i will only 'share' with people who i know will take them in the context that they are meant,

Interestingly enough it was the issue of context that started the discussion - and to be fair to those involved they did try to be reasonable with their ponts of view - but as with all emotive/socially taboo issues reason often takes a back seat. At least I admitted to being a coward with a small penis. :D

Reason didn't just take a back seat, it f*cked off out of hte country ! It seems that some couldn't see past the original jokes and were focused on attacking me. I suspect that they'd have done the same to anyone, despite the fact that I wasn't defending the jokes, but was in fact defending myself.

Still I'm as I mentioned in the thread, I'm not overly bothered by individuals who don't have enough about them to look beyond the end of their nose, read things properly, make snap judgements, form shallow opinions and then start slinging abuse. Personally, if someone's going to form an opinion based on a few posts, then I feel sorry for their kids, they're not going to have a very well rounded up bringing.

ooh, look at that, forming an opinion based on a few posts. tut tut !
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    NOTICE TO ALL PEOPLE WHO ENTER BOTTOM BRACKET:

1) It will contain banter, if you can't take it then please don't give it.

2) There will be material that is close to the mark, this is the ADULT section, if you find something close to the mark then either report the thread or just don't enter the thread again. DON'T start insulting people about the thread and attacking them.

3) If you're easily offended then DON'T enter BB.

4) If you are a keyboard warrior, DON'T enter BB.

5) Commuters, why not stick your your "commuting" section, we will stick to our section.

6) If you're offended by the now SINGLE "Girls in..." thread, DON'T look at it.

7) If you can't take a joke, DON'T enter BB.

8) People will you please LIGHTEN up. If we posted close to the mark things in say the "family" section then I'd fully agree with you that it is not right. But we are posting them in the ADULT section, a new area that was created for the sole purpose we could post these things here. So why are people still complaining about threads?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • MattC59
    rozzer32 wrote:

8) People will you please LIGHTEN up. If we posted close to the mark things in say the "family" section then I'd fully agree with you that it is not right. But we are posting them in the ADULT section, a new area that was created for the sole purpose we could post these things here. So why are people still complaining about threads?

Sums it up really.
    Chapeau !
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Evening gents :wink:

This is the last I'll say on it because otherwise we'll be going round in circles, I've also had a 46 year old cycling boss who went in for an emergency triple bypass this evening so I need to be in early, not getting all emotive on a forum, but I just wanted to make a couple of points.

I freely admit I criticised Matt because of his opinion and I'll stand by that. If anyone else had come back, then I would have tackled them too. Matt and I obviously have very differing opinions on what is freedom of speech and what we both feel is/isn't socially acceptable to be laughed about on an internet message board where most people are braver to post something that is edgy, than would be in real life. He admitted he found the jokes funny, which I took offence to, and challenged him about. I still stand by my opinion that the subjects that were being joked about, shouldn't be, in any circumstance. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, warning or not.

I think the Notice posted by Rozzer32 doesn't do much to mend any split/schism between CC and BB. Why should I "stick to the commuting section?" I'm a commuter. I'm a tourer. I do sportives. I'm a girl. I fettle occasionally (ooer!). Why shouldn't I visit all those sub-forums instead of being pigeonholed to one? Lets face it - we all ride bikes - that's our common denominator.

Anyway, that's me done, and I shall take my grande depart. Probably my last visit to BB as it's not my thing (yes, i can almost hear you all silently fist-pumping...) so if anyone wants to continue, do PM, otherwise I'll leave you guys to your boobs and bums. Bonsoir monsieurs xx
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    msmancunia wrote:
    otherwise I'll leave you guys to your boobs and bums. Bonsoir monsieurs xx

Any chance we can see yours before you go???

That was a JOKE, please don't take it seriously or be offended. Thanks.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • MattC59
    msmancunia wrote:
    Evening gents :wink:

This is the last I'll say on it because otherwise we'll be going round in circles, I've also had a 46 year old cycling boss who went in for an emergency triple bypass this evening so I need to be in early, not getting all emotive on a forum, but I just wanted to make a couple of points.

I freely admit I criticised Matt because of his opinion and I'll stand by that. If anyone else had come back, then I would have tackled them too. Matt and I obviously have very differing opinions on what is freedom of speech and what we both feel is/isn't socially acceptable to be laughed about on an internet message board where most people are braver to post something that is edgy, than would be in real life. He admitted he found the jokes funny, which I took offence to, and challenged him about. I still stand by my opinion that the subjects that were being joked about, shouldn't be, in any circumstance. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, warning or not.

I think the Notice posted by Rozzer32 doesn't do much to mend any split/schism between CC and BB. Why should I "stick to the commuting section?" I'm a commuter. I'm a tourer. I do sportives. I'm a girl. I fettle occasionally (ooer!). Why shouldn't I visit all those sub-forums instead of being pigeonholed to one? Lets face it - we all ride bikes - that's our common denominator.

Anyway, that's me done, and I shall take my grande depart. Probably my last visit to BB as it's not my thing (yes, i can almost hear you all silently fist-pumping...) so if anyone wants to continue, do PM, otherwise I'll leave you guys to your boobs and bums. Bonsoir monsieurs xx

and still the point sails on by........
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    This is absurd.

Anyone else had enough?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    MattC59 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Sums it up really.
    Chapeau !
    As the originator of the thread (I have been out all day so I don't know what developed after my last post on Sunday) I agree with that too. Black humour is a long standing British tradition (listen to coppers or firemen if you don't believe me, or walk onto any factory floor or building site) and the fact that it offends some people is just too bad, I have no intention of apologising for it. However, the administrators can run their forum as they see fit and if they want to protect the easily offended from reading adult material in a section marked as containing adult material so be it.
  • snoopsmydogg
    msmancunia wrote:

thats the thing you took a joke and turned it into a personal attack. I had replied to a few of your posts but you chose to ignore my comments and keep on at Matt.
    msmancunia wrote:

Nobody is saying stick to commuting. Cake stop stayed and BB was brought in for those not easily offended so folk can have a joke and a bit craic which you so far have not shown either. No one is saying keep out but at the same time why should it all be one way. Are you not part of the reason for the making of BB? let it be what it is.
  • iainment
    So what you guys are saying is that joking about using young children for sex is ok.
    And that those who post the jokes are completely ok.
    And that those who object to these posts are the ones who are odd.
    It's a funny old world aint it.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Coming back to the original point, what is Bottom Bracket?

Well, it's Cake stop innit, but renamed, and with all the separate girls threads crammed into one single thread. Some posters have tried to up the tone every now and again, but from the moderator response, it's clear that the tone is to be kept to the level of the old cake stop (for the moment).

Perhaps with time, the new Cake Stop will flourish, and only battle hardened bantersaurus rex will post here, getting to post whatever they like. FWIW, I still think going into a section which is clearly marked as containing offensive content, then complaining about it is just stupid. But I guess there's an initial process of finding out where the line between acceptable and unacceptable.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • MattC59
    iainment wrote:
    So what you guys are saying is that joking about using young children for sex is ok.

No, not at all. What is being said, is; don't piss and whine that you're offended about something that's in a section of the forum clearly marked as potentially offensive. And don't then post that you're offended about said thread when there have been clear warnings with in the thread that you'e chosen to ignore.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    iainment wrote:

No what we're saying is this - listen carefully - if you go into a sub forum that has an explicit warning of adult content and therein find content that is adult in nature then your grounds for running to the mods is pretty slender. As an adult you should not really be afraid of anything you read in this forum, but clearly you are afraid.

So iain, in your opinion, what thoughts are the populace not allowed to harbour or express; given that freedom of thought leads to enlightenment?

a quote from a mind infinitely more subtle than your own

"Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of the body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Iain,

You don't seriously think Matt is a peadophile so stop going on like you do. What are you even on about?

Is he guilty of repeating an incredibly crass and distasteful 'joke'? Yes, definitely. Did he do it simply to shock idiots like you into phoney indignation? Yes, almost certainly. Have you taken the bait? Yes, and then some. Is Matt a danger to children. No, of course he isn't, stop being so utterly ridiculous.

I wouldn't have repeated the joke myself and I didn't think it was funny but I seriously don't think I need to go running to complain. What the hell is the matter with you? We're all adults here aren't we? Get a grip.