CUBE LTD CC 2012 quick review

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Got this bike last week and have been using it for the past few days. (i may put a pic up soon but in the meantime u can see pics of it on this forum or Cube website) Have'nt made any upgrades to it, just added Cube bar ends, saddlebag, bottle n' cage and Shimano dual pedals. This is just a quick review for noobs like me who are looking for a new/first bike and may have came across Cube bikes but couldn't find a review to help em. I visited bikeradar everyday hoping to see a review of a Cube LTD 2012 but looks like there won't be one. Firstly, the bike comes pretty much assembled. All u gotta do is the seat, pedals and handlebar. Allen keys, grease and a pedal spanner is all you need. I still got a bike shop to check it over though. The first thing that strikes you is the looks. No picture or video review of this bike will give you a true representation of how good this bike looks in the flesh. I opted for the black anodized version and i'm happy i did for reasons i'll come to shortly. There's nothing about this bike i feel i need to upgrade. I had some upgrades all planned out with the help of SuperSonic (always go to him for advice if u can. Cheers by the way SS) but having used the bike now i can see i just don't need em. Been mainly using it lightly on the canal, road and trans-penine cycle path. Had one outing on a proper trail, rocky and rubbley upsloaps, huge puddles and lots of thick sloppy mud along with invading vegetation. Flew uphill with very little effort required and handled everything like a hotknife through butter. I was wanting to build up a collection of bikes (if i get into it enough), full sussers, 29'ers and maybe carbon models, but i'm so impressed with how this handles everything that i don't think i'll need too. I'd be happy to keep this bike for good. I'll probably get new bikes at some point but i'll never get rid of this, and i doubt i'd ever go with any other make other than cube. (may take a gamble on a RADON if i do) The Magura breaks are interchangeable too wich was good as the left break stopping the front wheel was weird for me. Powerfull breaks, the front is too powerfull though, easy to go a**e over t*t if you ain't carefull. As for the black anodized frame, i like it for more than just looks. For the weight watches, it'll save you 0.2kg compared to the usuall wet paint frames. It also makes the frame a thousand times more scratch resistant wich i can testify too. I thought my frame would be scratched to hell after what i put it through yesterday but not a single scratch. As the colour is apart of the frame (not applied afterwards) and the graphics being lazered on, i can't see the colour of the frame fading with time or the effects of the sun. Basically, if in a few years time i decided to replace the components, wheels tyres etc with all new gear, keeping only the frame, i predict the whole bike would look brand new! (frame included with a wash ofcourse) The gears are impressive too. Instant changes, quiet and smooth. No crackling sounds that you may get on other gear offerings. Power transfer is effortless and immediate and after just a few turns of the pedal, the bike can roll with ease for quite some time. I'm probably more impressed by this than anything else. The seat and riding geometry are both very comfortable too, great for long journeys. Can't find a single thing to dislike so far. Feels perfect to me in every department, quick, light, cheap, comfy, tough and gets better looking every time you look at it. In fact, that's the only downfall.. People keep stopping you to ask about it, sounds like something flattering but after a few times it gets a bit annoying. Like a friend said, it's clearly a looker and stands out, so it'd be a good idea to get it insured against theft and get a good lock too. Anyone looking to get this bike i'd say go for it!!! I'd be the worlds most shocked person if you weren't anything but delighted with it. If anyone has a question they'd like to ask about it just send me a private message and i'll reply ASAP.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TL:DR.

Paragraphs help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tezboy1234
    Yeah, sorry about that. I tried to paragraph. I done this on my ps3 and for some reason it wouldn't let me line break? No idea why?? What does TL:DR. mean?
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    Yeah, sorry about that. I tried to paragraph. I done this on my ps3 and for some reason it wouldn't let me line break? No idea why?? What does TL:DR. mean?

Too long .Didn't read??
  • They won't review the 2012 model because they reviewed the bike back in 2010/2011 - the bike hasn't changed that much, so the review still stands.
    And I agree with their review - a great bike, but not for everyone. I have an SL and love it (I went for grey/white/green rather than black), but a few friends don't like the front end (too twitchy).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • tezboy1234
    Yeah thats why i did a quick review. I did see the 10/11 review but a newbie (like me) would probably not bother with that and look for a 2012 review. I think your right, the bike aint all that different. The frame and geometry are more than likely identical. There has been a change to the Shimano XT components though, with this years ltd's sporting the latest range. My stem seems to be shorter than what Cube's tend to come with as standard. It's certainly shorter than 100mm, that's for sure. (dont know were u measure a stem from but can guarantee its shorter than 100mm) The other change is the suspension fork, a reba this year. A big change for the better so i'm led to believe. People will often see the same product differently, but i'm surprised to hear a few of your friends found the front end too twitchy. Mine feels spot on, but maybe they accidentally gave me a shorter stem and thats why?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    i'm surprised to hear a few of your friends found the front end too twitchy. Mine feels spot on, but maybe they accidentally gave me a shorter stem and thats why?

A shorter stem will make the front end even more twitchy if anything given the same length handlebars. It will move your weight back a bit though.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Also I'd ignore what people say about bikes being too twitchy and stuff tbh. If you ride it and it works for you then that's what matters. Peoples views of bike geometry are based on personal preferences.

My XC bike is steeper than most race bikes seem to be these days, I love the way it handles. I can imagine most people not liking it though because it's not as stable as they'd like a bike to be. The other bike is the polar opposite. It's a right barge to ride unless you're hammering it downhill when it really comes into it's own, it's good fun though.
  • But I can appreciate that my friends think it is twitchy - its very light and the bikedoesnt feel particularly planted on the trail. I would call it 'chuckable' - something that I like in a bike.
    I guess it is proof that you need to give a bike a test ride, to make sure it feels right to you.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    I'm recently back on the trails. I was fortunate over many years to own top XC bikes, FS, Ti, Alu and Steel. I'd decided that dipping back in I'd go for a modest hardtail and on the advice of a friend with a shop bought a LTD Race. Have to say I was surprised and thrilled at how well it rode and in particular how comfortable its been to ride on the relatively smooth trails here in the Chilterns.

If its a sharp handling XC machine that floats your boat you can't go wrong for the money IMHO.

That said there have been worthwile upgrades. Carbon bar and seatpost have taken a little of the hardtail edge out and a quality wheelset and tyre took a kilo out of the stock wheels/tyre combo. Its much more flickable now and if you think its a great climber wack on some good light wheels and prepare to be shocked!
  • Defride...what upgrades have you got on your bike.
    Am looking at wheel sets and tyres at the moment, but am getting confused over the choices.
  • tezboy1234
    quite right. these are the upgrades i had in mind before i got the bike. a new carbon finishing kit, new rims and tyres and out with the xt hubs for lighter ones. been happy with all these parts though. i will go ahead with these upgrades but ill get some use out of these fist. LONG TIME LURKER - SUPERSONIC suggested a wheelset to me from Superstar. got to superstar website and youll find a set that are just under 300 pound (usually 400 pound). i think they have tribolt in the name. i was told they'd save me at least 600 grams in weight. i can also save at least 450 grams in weight off the tyres.
  • tezboy1234 wrote:
    got to superstar website and youll find a set that are just under 300 pound (usually 400 pound). i think they have tribolt in the name. i was told they'd save me at least 600 grams in weight. i can also save at least 450 grams in weight off the tyres.

Cheers - I'll give it a look...
  • defride
    Lurker and tezboy, I put a 680mm FSA carbon bar on, in hindsight should have gone for a 700 though its ok. Seatost is also an FSA, both around £45 online. Weight wasn't so much the issue but i think they really do make the bike a touch more comfortable. Wheels, I considered Hope Pro3 XCs and Superstars but when a pair of XTR M975 wheels came up at a good price I grabbed them. Spec Fasttrak 2bliss came with them so I figured I'd give tubeless a go. The wheel/tyre combo saved 400g on the front and 600g on the rear compared to stock and thats made a significant difference to the way the bike handles. Much more lively, I'm climbing in lower gears and its much easier to lift and flick around the rear wheel. Bang for buck wheels are the way to go should you want to upgrade and make a significant difference to the way the bike rides IMHO. I expect I'll experiment with different tires next.
  • tezboy1234
    Cheers defride.. I'll take a look at the FSA stuff. As for the XTR wheels, wich version did you go for, trail or race? If you went for trail and they saved you that much weight, then Shimano is back in the running when i come to get new wheels. The race ones are no good for me as i prefer at least a 2.25 inch tyre, which the race won't accommodate. Did u get XTR hubs also? I originally planned on getting the XT wheelset and XT breaks, (mine came with Magure M2's) as everything else on the bike is XT. I thought they'd be an upgrade. But supersonic told me the XT breaks weren't an upgrade, just different. Having used the Magures now, i see what he means, i don't need better than the Magures, there fantastic. XT's are heavier anyways. But he did recommend a new wheelset, rims, hubs and tyres, especially as XT hubs and rims are very heavy. He recommended Superstar. Any info on wheelsets would be great if anyone can recommend. I don't know were to draw the line in terms of price?? Don't get me wrong, i like the Cube LTD CC a lot, but after a certain price point i'd probably just be polishing a t**d, lol.. but what's the limit?
  • defride
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    As for the XTR wheels, wich version did you go for, trail or race? If you went for trail and they saved you that much weight, then Shimano is back in the running when i come to get new wheels. The race ones are no good for me as i prefer at least a 2.25 inch tyre, which the race won't accommodate. Did u get XTR hubs also?

I bought an M975 complete USB wheelset the previous version of the 985/988. I'm led to believe there is little other than graphics between the the M975 and M985 (XTR Race). I'm certainly planning on running 2.25s on them and can't see why that would be an issue, wider? Not sure I'd need them around here.

re brakes, even the basic Shimano ones that come as standard on the Race are decent stoppers. £££ to save a couple of hundred grams at best? I don't think i'll be spending big money in that direction. I'm thinking maybe a 2x10 drivetrain at some stage?
  • glen_d
    glen_d Posts: 11
    Hi Tezboy,

So glad I came across your review as I've been thinking about getting a new mountain bike for a while now and am 99% set on getting the same as you - a Cube LTD 2012 (black version).

My current bike is a pretty basic Muddy Fox and I want something better. I cycle to work every day & out and about in Brighton a lot so might as well get something decent.

I do have a couple of questions which you may be able to help with. You mention the breaks are interchangeable. Does it come set up with the front one set up on the left? (Sorry if I sound dumb but I'll be honest - I don't know anywhere near as much about bikes as most of you guys!)

Secondly, I am 5"11 and my current bike has a 20" frame which I find perfect. I just wondered what size frame you have and how you find it?

I haven't seen one of these bikes in the flesh yet but I do think they look fantastic. I'd never even heard of Cube until recently but I've read some great things about them and the Germans don't make cr*p do they?!

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Glen
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    hi i am about to take delivery of a cube ltd race in the next few days

i got it on the cycle to work scheme and cant wait..

i got the grey blue one not the black !!!!! but whats 100grms between friends,,

im 5"11 also and went for the 18 frame when i tried it in the shop.

these bikes are better spec'd than many and really jump out at you from the crowd of others..
    my last bike was a cannondale f6 and i nearly went to that stable again but am really pleased with the finished quality of these bikes..

the Germans really got it right with these i think
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • tezboy1234
    Glen_D..... Sorry for the late reply. In regards to the breaks, they are on the wrong setup to what were used to in the UK. The left break controls the front wheel, the right break controls the back wheel. As the breaks are very powerfull, it could lead to you going over the bars if u hit the wrong break by accident in an emergency. I strongly suggest u take it to a bike shop to get them switched. They come interchangable, no need for bleeding or complicated surgery. Just a simple switch of the wires. It was such a small thing that my bike shop never charged me for it. As for the frame, i'm 5ft8" and its plenty big enough for me. A friend around your height tried it and it was good for him too. People who ask me about the bike when i'm out and about all seem to think its a 20" but it's an 18" If you can, go to a bike shop who sells Cube bikes and try one out for size just be sure. I think you'll be fine with either the 18" or 20" What is the exact CUBE LTD model your getting? If your getting the CC like mine, then remember you can't get that particular model in a bike shop. But you can try any bike from the LTD or COMP series to check for size. I got mine online from bike discount in Germany. You can get it from Amazon i think, but not from a shop. This is because the CC is a limited edition so is only sold in certain places, shops in the UK ain't one of em unfortunately. The closest you'll find to mine in a shop is the CUBE LTD SL 2012. You won't get the Magura breaks with the SL but youll get Shimano XT's. You won't get the XT shifters or cranks, instead you get SLX shifters and the cranks drop to one or two below the SLX. The CC just about shades it over the SL in the spec department. As the CC is a special edition, it costs a bit less than the SL, even though its better specced, lol.. weird but true!!!!! Also, the CC is all black, no silver cranks or other parts like on the SL. Hope this helps, giz a shout if you need more info.. ps.. i'll put some pics up shortly so check the YOUR BIKES section on the forums if your interested.
  • glen_d
    glen_d Posts: 11
    Hi Tezboy,

Thanks for the info. I am looking to get the standard Cube LTD (http://www.cube.eu/en/hard/ltd/ltd-black-anodized/). That will do for me. I live near Brighton and don't know if there are any shops nearby at all that sell Cube bikes - I'll have a search on the net soon. I would like to try out the 18" and 20" frame for size although I'm not sure I'd even notice a lot of difference.

I definitely think I'll get a nearby bike shop to assemble it and ensure the brakes are as per I'm used to. Really don't like the sound of the front brake on the left side!
  • defride
    Glenn_D, 18 or 20 will depend on your body shape and what position you're used to riding in. I'm 6'1" and prefer an 18". Most people my height prefer the more upright riding position a 20" would offer. At 5'11" it sounds like both would be ok and only you'll be able to decide which is in fact more comfortable for you. Good luck, doubt you'll regret going this direction, cracking bikes