SDW conditions?

robu
robu Posts: 26
edited July 2012 in Routes
Hi there - I'm planning to do the South Downs Way this weekend (June 30) with some mates.

It should be dry as a bone at this time of a year, but this isn't a normal year. Anyone got any idea of current conditions?

Many thanks.

Comments

• wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Was out on the Wiggle MTB sportive at the weekend which if it didn't go on to the SDW, was certainly close enough to make no difference. A dry week will surely improve things, but expect a lot of mud in the Singleton West Sussex area.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I rode a short section between Graffham Down and Cocking Down on Sunday after the downpour and it was fine, just a few small puddles... it's mostly chalk and chalk rubble which drains really well. As I recall most of the SDW from QE to the Devil's Dyke drains well, apart from the last bit which crosses a couple of fields. I'd expect it to be OK... but it is worth getting as much 'local knowledge' as you can.

The guys I know who did the Southdowns Epic on Sunday set it was a mud-fest, but I'd have thought there were only a couple of boggy sections.... I rode part of the course on Saturday, and some more of it on Sunday after the rain cleared - and I had no problems at all. Much of the rest of it I've been riding all winter - though on Mud-X :D
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    robu wrote:
    Hi there - I'm planning to do the South Downs Way this weekend (June 30) with some mates.

It should be dry as a bone at this time of a year, but this isn't a normal year. Anyone got any idea of current conditions?

Many thanks.

Any update on this, how did it go and what were the conditions like, planning to do this on Sunday (7th July).
    Cheers