Lightweight trye advice needed

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'll keep this short as no-one wants to read an epic!

I'm currently running Nobby Nic/Racing Raplh set up for XC riding and racing but I cant help think there's a lighter set up out there. What other suggestions do people have? Are the Conti Race Kings lighter? I'm posting this on a phone so I cant look at the net properly :-(

Any help grately recived.

A

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Rons, or Ron/Fred if it's dry.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Mmm, just not sure about Schwalbe's - I'm thinking Conti Race Kings.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    What compound are you using, evo, ORC ... ? Tubeless? IMO, if the tyres work for you, and your riding, I wouldn't change them. With lighter tyres, you'll have thinner sidewalls, increased risk of punctures, and may wear down quicker.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    i had conti supersonics on my bike a while back , they are light but wear super quick and are very puncture prone .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Njee seems to be the man for this, id take his advice!

If you want uber light then the Maxxis Maxlight 285 are insane light but i havent a clue about their grip or durability.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    rocket rons punctured like crazy for a mate of mine, we got sick of him getting pinch flats, we moaned so much he changed tyres - plus he was sick of them also
  • njee20
    Run them tubeless and that doesn't happen!

Maxxlite 285s are incredible, but have no grip at all. If you want a tyre of that ilk a Furious Fred is only 20g heavier but about 1/3 the price. Similar lack of grip too!
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    +1 rons/fred in the dry, I run them tubeless on a 29er, the ron seals up straight away, the fred is a little porous so took a few attempts to fully seal.

When it gets wet I change the rear for a Bonty xr3 team, still light reasonably fast rolling with 'some' grip
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • njee20
    They're exactly the same carcass, so there's no reason for a Fred to be more porous, never had any issues myself (got 3 pairs of Rons and a pair of Freds).
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Maybe I got a dud, I had what looked like a line of pinholes at the point where the bead meets the sidewall in one section, it was no big deal though, I rode it and pumped it up a couple of times then took the wheel off and balanced it over night so that the sealant sat in the affected area - its been fine ever since.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • njee20
    Yeah it can happen, was just saying that there's no specific reason that a Fred would be that way and a Ron wouldn't (or indeed a Dirty Dan).