Campagnolo Hyperons

Ernesto Fan
Ernesto Fan Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Road general
Dear All

I am doing the Etape 1 next Sunday and need a bit of help with regard to wheel choice.

I am very fortunate in that I own both clincher and tubular Campagnolo Hyperons. I would use Continental GP4000s and race light butyl tubes with the clinchers and Continental Competitions with the tubulars.

Any views on which wheels I should use?

I am 148 lbs (aged 50) and not the best descender so should I leave the Hyperon clinchers at home or are they safe to use given that I will probably use the brakes quite a bit and I have read so much about rim failures, overheating and blowouts etc (but curiously not about Hyperons).

If I use the tubulars I will be using them stuck with Tufo tape as I am a big fan and find it amazing stuff although I have never used it in the big mountains. I find it so easy use and the tyres stick very well but can be very hard to get off.

Or should I play safe and just go with Shamal clinchers?

This is my first post so my apologies if this has all been asked before.

Thanks

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'd go with Shamals, less risk of them being damaged in transit and none of the compromises of either of the hyperons.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    tell us what your clincher hyperons are like Ernesto fan. Do you have the Ultras or the normal ones?
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Clinchers definitely if you are a nervous descender. Reason being you will be on the brakes a lot and creating a lot of heat which will potentially melt the glue on the tubulars.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • I have the ultras and they are fantastic - they feel incredibly light, much more so than Shamals even though there are only 50 or so grams between them. They are super smooth and roll so easily and they climb like a dream. I love everything Campagnolo so maybe I am biased but they are great.

Thanks for the post regarding using the clinchers but if I use the brakes a lot do I not run the risk of overheating the rims and blowing the tubes?

Thanks
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Feltup wrote:
    Clinchers definitely if you are a nervous descender. Reason being you will be on the brakes a lot and creating a lot of heat which will potentially melt the glue on the tubulars.

Normally tubulars are chosen because of heat issues. They are much safer than clinchers, the latter when overheat, come off the rim, resulting in explosion of the tube and most likely a bad crash. I have not heard fo a tubular coming off because of over-heating.
    left the forum March 2023
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    wasn't aware of this overheating issue on clinchers, i would use tubs if not for the faff if you got a flat ...