Bushings For Rear Suspension (BSO ish!)

Darkstalker420
Darkstalker420 Posts: 212
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi the nipper was given and old Shogun XC200 (had some "issues" :roll:) so the owner wanted shot of it. One of the issues was a bit of play in the rear suspension. I have traced this to a pair of worn bushings on the pivots (behind BB). I think they are referred to as "top hat" bushings.

I was thinking about contacting the maker (but found the bike "discontinued" everywhere!) so i guess it maybe hard to track down parts. So i was going to try and just buy some replacements. I have found the following:

http://www.bpfittings.co.uk/pc/Stepped- ... c10726.htm

And just wanted to make sure these are the correct "things" :roll: before i order (just a case of measuring the ID of the frame pivot and the OD of the bolt/rod whatsit!). Bike's actually pretty sorted for a BSO alike looks a bit Kona/Turner like with the linkages and would suit the mrs (obviously for comfort..... Not "breakneck" DH riding :shock:). She misses her "souped up" BOSS Silver Streak :lol:.

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not have thought so.

but they may work if you can get them to match fit...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi Nick figure it has to be worth a punt for a few quid will just pick the best match for ID/OD fill them up with grease and keep my eye on them. OR do you have any idea where i can purchase the real deal??

Thanks.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Could it not be converted to bearings?? Im working on a solution for mine to run on bearings, Ive gotta fabricate a couple of bits but easy enough on a lathe
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Hi steelie600 i don't have access to a lathe unfortunately (i wish oh the fun i could have!!) and to be honest getting a machine shop to do it would probably cost more than the frame is worth (wouldn't it??).

Thanks.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Ive got a lathe and all that measure me the outside diameter of the bushings you need, and show me all the bits you use to put swing arm on frame I might be able to hook you up. Will only charge beer money
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Hi mate cheers for the offer BUT.... I have spotted a bit of a "game ender" the chainstays have a nice crack all the way round (didn't spot it 'till i had a close look :cry:) and i doubt it would be something that could be fixed (Aluminum) and to be honest even if i could get it welded i doubt i would trust it. Shame really looked one of the better designed BSO frames and i think it would have been a laugh to ride!

Once again thanks for the offer :D.

Thanks.