Time to change forks - best option?

dt7
dt7 Posts: 13
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone

I have a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2010, which whilst not the best bike in the world, i have enjoyed riding for the last 2 years. I have made improvements along the way, but i am now considering a changing the original fork (SR Suntour SF10-XCT-V2D-MLO, 80mm - i think).

Reducing weight and improving handling are the main reasons for changing. I mainly ride trail centres and xc, no large really large stuff for me at the mo.

I have noticed that many in the same position have changed to a Rockshox Recon TK Silver or Reba and have noticed several good deals around, but i have also seen some Marzocchi Marathon R and LR forks.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... 2012_Forks

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... 2012_Forks

The Marzocchi forks are a little more expensive than the Recon TK Silver, but i am unsure if they are worth the extra money or even if they will be compatable with the bike.

I would be grateful if someone more knowledgeable could offer any advice or thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    Marzocchi make decent long legs for down hill and really grizzly terrain......... if your after a quick blast....... XC to meduim grizzle go with the Rock Shox ...... reliabilty....... and proven technology is far greater..... in my opinion.......
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    oh and be sure, to buy the right steerer....... wether it be tapered, 1.5, 1 1/8........ i imagine it will be a straight 1 1/8 steerer, as its an oldish bike and a spesh :S
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Marzocchis new forks are excellent - the Marathon R and LR are great buys, work better than base Rockshox.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    @ supersonic. I think It's time for a " New forks for hardrock sport " sticky! :wink::lol:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Adotparker wrote:
    as its an oldish bike and a spesh :S

:shock: - that must make my '06 Rockhopper an antique! :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They look like they could be ideal for my 455ss. How do they compare to similar priced Recon's?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Adotparker wrote:
    oh and be sure, to buy the right steerer....... wether it be tapered, 1.5, 1 1/8........ i imagine it will be a straight 1 1/8 steerer, as its an oldish bike and a spesh :S
    the same as a 2010 crush or this years G bikes then :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • dt7
    dt7 Posts: 13
    Thanks for replies and suggestions.

Supersonic - i feel inclined to go with you on this one. Am sure that the Rockshox offer brilliant value, but the unsightly v brake mounts put me off a little, and am sure that the Marzocchi Marathons will do me proud.

Am pretty sure that "on an old bike" like mine the steerer is indeed a straight 1 1/8th, anyone confirm this?

Are 9mm axles standard on the Hardrock?

Cheers
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    dt7 wrote:
    Thanks for replies and suggestions.
    Am pretty sure that "on an old bike" like mine the steerer is indeed a straight 1 1/8th, anyone confirm this?

Are 9mm axles standard on the Hardrock?

Cheers
    yes and yes
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Adotparker
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:
    the same as a 2010 crush or this years G bikes then :wink:

I wouldn't know about the 2010 Crush or G series.... however I know someone selling the older 2010 crush frame, might make a good work bike i guess :S
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker wrote:
    as its an oldish bike and a spesh :S

:shock: - that must make my '06 Rockhopper an antique! :wink:

Surely you agree how quickly technology moves on........ and has moved on, in the last couple of years :S
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014