Dear Commuters.....

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Commuters, you lot are a bunch of cnuts.

Your whinging ruined a perfectly good sub-forum.

Frank, you're a dick to generalise. If you'd paid proper attention you would have seen that the vast majority of us here either supported Cake Stop's right to enjoy those threads or neither cared one way or another. To come in here blaming everyone who commutes by bike for the actions of one or two contributors makes you look rather silly.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    I was Velosrapture, or something like that.
    That would be an epic bit of trolling if it was true :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Your whinging ruined a perfectly good sub-forum.

Frank, you're a dick to generalise. If you'd paid proper attention you would have seen that the vast majority of us here either supported Cake Stop's right to enjoy those threads or neither cared one way or another. To come in here blaming everyone who commutes by bike for the actions of one or two contributors makes you look rather silly.

I bet he reads the Daily Mail..... :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Have to admit i do prefer my legs smooth but having been through months of regrowth pain i'm not going there again anytime soon.

or am I ...? :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    suzyb wrote:
    Problem: an epidemic of "Girls in" threads which gave the forum a sleazy atmosphere and were far removed from spirit the original GIL thread
    If this is the problem then surely...

Solution: Start an epidemic of "Men in" threads.

In the interest of balance, it's been tried several times over the years. Every time it has recieved a somewhat flacid reception. :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    22804186.jpg

Wow you went to the trouble of creating your own meme. You really need to get out more, maybe ride your bike during rush hour round town more might do the trick :roll:
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rozzer32 wrote:
    22804186.jpg

Wow you went to the trouble of creating your own meme. You really need to get out more, maybe ride your bike during rush hour round town more might do the trick :roll:
    And you replied to the meme. Then I replied. Christ, you reckon this entire thread might actually be a complete waste of time? And on an internet forum of all places. Jog on.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonny_trousers
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I was Velosrapture, or something like that.
    That would be an epic bit of trolling if it was true :)

Ha! If only I was clever enough. Sadly it was iphone autocorrect.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I do post over there every now and again, more likely in bottom bracket though. I also venture over to crudcatcher. One thing that did stem from all of this nonsense is that I venture around the forums (fora?) a bit more than I used to.
    I don't agree with the arguments that were made then, and I don't think what has been done is necessary.
    I also think it's a bit daft that the ones who shouted loudest have now disappeared. MSM I don't think you upset anyone, your points were always argued with reason as I recall and you certainly didn't get stroppy.
    I might go and post a picture of the wife's new bike over in road. I'm sure they'll love it.
  • rozzer32
    dhope wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    22804186.jpg

And you replied to the meme. Then I replied. Christ, you reckon this entire thread might actually be a complete waste of time? And on an internet forum of all places. Jog on.

Well not really seeing as you i.e the commuters (yes I know I am generalising and not all of you share the opinion, but it was commuters none the yes) kicked off about cake stop, saying you would like to post in there but found the content past the mark. Now the new cake stop has been formed and you're still not posting there which seems to make the original argument invalid hence why us people in cake stop/bottom bracket are now questioning the change even more.

Yes this is an internet forum, there are keyboard warriors, however we are discussing the change to cake stop and now wondering why people from commuting haven't posted there since the change as that is what they wanted. Although I appreciate your well thought out reply.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rozzer32 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    22804186.jpg

Well not really seeing as you i.e the commuters (yes I know I am generalising and not all of you share the opinion, but it was commuters none the yes) kicked off about cake stop, saying you would like to post in there but found the content past the mark. Now the new cake stop has been formed and you're still not posting there which seems to make the original argument invalid hence why us people in cake stop/bottom bracket are now questioning the change even more.

Yes this is an internet forum, there are keyboard warriors, however we are discussing the change to cake stop and now wondering why people from commuting haven't posted there since the change as that is what they wanted. Although I appreciate your well thought out reply.

There were about 3 people that cared initially. One was DDD who the mods should have known better than to take seriously on a Friday.
    We, the commuters, generally and almost to a person don't care in the slightest. I would imagine we see the CS/BB split as similar to Chat/General here. As TWH pointed out, the 'solution' was ridiculous in any event - deciding that unacceptable posts (as the mods determined) would suddenly become acceptable if moved to a forum with a new name.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    rozzer32 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    22804186.jpg

The meme kind of captured my thought. And its hardly effort to type in a few characters and click a button.

If its verbal therapy you want, pay for a shrink. Bitching at a wide group of people who for the large part didn't give two hoots about what you have issue with, and who certainly don't have the ability to change it seems somewhat pointless.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    doesnt it just show that all cake stop had turned into was an excuse to look at pictures of women? If its so terrible now, and all thats changed is the removal of "girls in" threads, surely there was no substance there in the first place? And that would point to the reason why nobody wants to post there now?
    I'm not sure where you got this idea from that previously we all wanted to post in there? Please can you link a thread or poll that supports this statement of yours?
  • MattC59
    Yukirin wrote:
    doesnt it just show that all cake stop had turned into was an excuse to look at pictures of women? If its so terrible now, and all thats changed is the removal of "girls in" threads, surely there was no substance there in the first place? And that would point to the reason why nobody wants to post there now?
    I'm not sure where you got this idea from that previously we all wanted to post in there? Please can you link a thread or poll that supports this statement of yours?

I assume that you missed the original thread that stirred all of this up.
    I also assume that you didn't read the first sentence of the first post of htis thread.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Is this thread for real? Seriously? Instead of tarring everyone with the same bush, why don't you take up your issues with DDD & the mods.

This whole cake stop/lycra argument is a colossal waste of everyone's time. It's rather sad that it was taken seriously in the first place, but clearly some people have nothing better to do.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I'm guessing that they got bored of trolling mumsnet & are now looking for more "sport", rather than pm'ing those who GAF about it.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    DrLex wrote:
    I'm guessing that they got bored of trolling mumsnet & are now looking for more "sport", rather than pm'ing those who GAF about it.

+1
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rozzer32
    DrLex wrote:

Nah I'm just getting bored of going on the turbo due to the crap weather!!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rozzer32 wrote:
    DrLex wrote:

Nah I'm just getting bored of going on the turbo due to the crap weather!!

A clear case of MTFU.......
  • MattC59
    Is this thread for real? Seriously? Instead of tarring everyone with the same bush, why don't you take up your issues with DDD & the mods.

This whole cake stop/lycra argument is a colossal waste of everyone's time. It's rather sad that it was taken seriously in the first place, but clearly some people have nothing better to do.

I can only assume that you didn't read the first post either ?

"a number of you (you know who you are)" is hardly tarring everyone with the same brush, in fact quite the opposite, it's specifically referencing those 'who know who they are'. If you feel tarred, then I can only assume that you are one of those 'who know's who he/she is'.
  • jonny_trousers
    MattC59 wrote:

"a number of you (you know who you are)" is hardly tarring everyone with the same brush, in fact quite the opposite, it's specifically referencing those 'who know who they are'. If you feel tarred, then I can only assume that you are one of those 'who know's who he/she is'.

Look, Matt, if this is really all about you wanting DDD to hang out at Cake Stop rather than here then please, take him; he's yours.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,280
    Matt you seem to not be grasping that the vast majority of us just don't care. We didn't care then and we don't now.

Why don't you follow your own advice and go read the original thread, then get in touch with the people who promised to come over to yours and play.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    MattC59 wrote:

I think IP may just be responding to this one:

Nice. :roll:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    MattC59 wrote:

Yet you titled the thread "Dear Commuters" which presumably includes all the people who regularly post in this forum....

and the continued "commuter bashing" going on over in BB is hardly conducive to a friendly atmosphere, no?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    MattC59 wrote:
    Yukirin wrote:

I assume that you missed the original thread that stirred all of this up.
    I also assume that you didn't read the first sentence of the first post of htis thread.

50% correct. Still, the fact remains the forum had no substance and now, no girls in threads either, and that is why nobody wants to go there.
    As you're obviously not happy, have you considered the front forum (frontarmy.com/forums/)? It may be more up your street and have like minded friends for you to find, talk to and share photos with.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:

Yet you titled the thread "Dear Commuters" which presumably includes all the people who regularly post in this forum....
    and the continued "commuter bashing" going on over in BB is hardly conducive to a friendly atmosphere, no?

No, because I qualified it with "a number of you (you know who you are)"
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:

I think IP may just be responding to this one:

Nice. :roll:

ah, fair point.
  • MattC59
    I'd like to point out, that I have nothing against commuters at all. In fact, if I lived and worked locally, I'd commute by bike (despite not living and working in London, does that count ? :lol: ).

What does wind me up is people complaining that they feel alienated due to content of a forum*; then, once the forum* is cleaned up to accomodate their requirements they don't bother to join in.

(*substitute forum for anything in life)

Love ya.

ps. No thanks, you can keep DDD.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    MattC59 wrote:
    I'd like to point out, that I have nothing against commuters at all. In fact, if I lived and worked locally, I'd commute by bike (despite not living and working in London, does that count ? :lol: ).

What does wind me up is people complaining that they feel alienated due to content of a forum*; then, once the forum* is cleaned up to accomodate their requirements they don't bother to join in.

(*substitute forum for anything in life)

Love ya.

ps. No thanks, you can keep DDD.

That is a valid point. And at least you bother to construct a worthwhile argument, rather than "you're all a bunch of cnuts". I don't take those sort of comments seriously, I don't think anybody does. But they don't exactly help anything. Do they?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Yukirin wrote:

No, I totally disagree. The was a huge variety of posts in cake stop.
    Cake stop was a one stop shop for a huge variety of posts to suit everyone. If you weren't turned on (for want of a better expression) by something, then why bother replying or getting worked up about it?
    A mere handful of whingers have wrecked a very laissez faire forum. You said "there was no substance there in the first place? ", it is/was cake stop for christ sake. Trawl back to some of the posts from MaxwellBygraves, CleatEastwood etc etc and there was some pretty good debates in there from Republicanism to taxation to Mrs Thatcher and posts about the performing arts. Something for everyone.
    You can keep some of the people happy some of the time...boo hoo to the people you can't; they are the 'iron my underpants' brigade. The wider masses pander to PC'ness but here we seemed for a while to be immune to it in that they were welcome to post and say what they like but they actively changed something that was inherently interesting and diverse. To me, it was a disaster. The mods were as much to blame for not letting it just blow over.
    PS Yukirin- DO NOT take this as a personal criticism directed towards you, it is a counter argument.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!