Superstar components.

ramemtbers
ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Hi guys, just wondering what your thoughts and opinions on superstar components is, i have purchased numerous sets of brake pads and a set of nano tech flats. I was very impressed with the quality of the pedals for the price i payed. Would be interested to here your opinions.

Cheers Ben.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do a search on Superstar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    My experience of Superstar has been nothing but good.

I bought a set of their Evo hubs and hooked them up to some Mavic rims. They have performed really well as the hubs are very well built and smooth rolling (although it took a couple of rides to get there), so no problems yet after 1000+ miles (fingers crossed).

I've also got some Superstar Avid Juicy 3 compatible brake pads and have to say there is no difference in modulation or power between these and other more expensive makes - plus they hardly squeal at all in the rain especially compared to the original Avid brake pads I've used in the past.

However, as a caveat I was hesitant about getting the hubs as I heard some had given up the ghost after only a few hundred miles, plus the fact that would mean dealing with the owner of Superstar who apparently is an acquired taste and has zero customer service skills.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Great service from them so far
    I have had 10 sets of Avid pads so far, but just had a problem with one pad last week the fiction material had started to come away from the backing, so sent them back with claim form and a new set arrived next day with free haribos as well excellent service
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Well pleased with my dealings so far. Decent products, quick delivery, good value.

Considering some wheels later this year.

* I don't work for them btw
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i have a set of their wheels

for the money they are brilliant

always found service to be top notch
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Delivery is super quick...usually very next day.

Pads have been brilliant - and the fact you can buy a load of different types as part of a bulk deal (if you want to go halves with a mate)

Tools have been great for the money

The Crest Rims on superstar hubs have been great. One loose spoke in about 6 months of hammering and racing.

Very happy.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    As above the mixing of brake pads in a 4-pack is excellent...especially as now I have three bikes :wink:

The wheel set I got is fantastic (ArchEX/Trizoid DH) and hasn't given me any problems after some very hard riding.
    Happy with the Plasma Chain Device I got from them as well as the 80mm stem I just fitted on the 'hopper.

Normally receive my stuff in France in about a week - which isn't bad

All in all a very good service, good prices and very helpful too
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont post any of this on Singletrack forum. Any mention of Superstar and they start foaming at the mouth and calling for the death sentence :lol:

My experiences are everything I have bought has worked just fine apart from a bottom bracket which only lasted about 6 months but as the genuine Truvativ BB lasted about 3 or 4 months thats not bad.

I have there wheels, grips, pads and a seatpost at the moment and am thinking of a stem in a revolting clashing shiny colour because it will annoy my OCD mate.

In general cheap shiny and the quality is fine.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Can't get enough of their stuff lol! Although, it has been going up in price!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Not a fan of their brake pads tbh but their other hardware - pedals, bars, stems, seatposts, seat clamps, brake adaptors - seems almost indistinguishable from kit costing twice as much.
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    Thanks for all the help guys, i am about to put an order in with them to rebuld my lapierre with new: bars, stem, bb, pedals, rotors, brake pads, wheels, seat post, grips, seat post clamp and bar ends. So i was just at the final point of choosing whether to go ahead and buy or not.

In the past i have been very impressed but just wante to check.

thanks
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mine have been more up and down- used the pads and pedals no problem at all, they're great in fact and great value.

But I got my dropper seatpost from them and they took the piss completely- it didn't work when it arrived, so they suggested I service it. So I did, still didn't work, they said send it back. They then said I caused the problem when I serviced it- that's right, the fault that was there from new, before it was serviced. Then they sent it back, and it turned out it still didn't work! Returned it again, and this time they actually did fix it. Oh and they still owe me £15 postage but strangely every email I sent them about that went unanswered, and they never seem to answer the phone.

So, very flakey and unprofessional tbh. But they sell good stuff, at excellent prices, and when they're good they're very good. When they're bad they're awful.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When I want some Haribo, they're great and get free brake pads with them. Awesome :D
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    deadkenny wrote:
    When I want some Haribo, they're great and get free brake pads with them. Awesome :D
    But damn, is their Haribo expensive. To be honest for the amount of money they charge I expected more.

But the free bike stuff is awesome
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I've only bought the brake pads from them and I really like them so it's all good here. I did find the pads to be a bit thicker but after a small adjustment with the oil it was fine. Fast service and a very good price for the bulk package.
    Many happy trails!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I've so much Superstar on the Torque you'd think I was sponsored... Adjustable post, rigid post (hot-swappable), bars, grips, pads, seatpin, I did have the chain device but that's swapped out for an e-13, pedals and wheels. I've also the BB on the other bike. They never answer the phone but I've been to their warehouse and their good guys. Neil is a bit of a tinkerer apparently and he's always fettling with CAD...
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    stubs wrote:
    I have there wheels, grips, pads and a seatpost at the moment and am thinking of a stem in a revolting clashing shiny colour because it will annoy my OCD mate.
    this annoys me just reading it!

I have lots of their stuff (all in red) inc hoses and BB's, love their fast delivery and good prices.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I love their stuff, prices and especially the quick delivery, but I can't say the same about their customer service. Any time I've emailed them, I've received a very generic reply. Seems like they just read the email header then copy and paste info from their website. It gets very annoying after a while, when all I asked was a simple question. Thing is, it still hasn't put me off buying :oops:

e.g.I sent them an email about brake pads and if a certain pad was in stock, and I got a reply telling me the difference between sintered, organic, kevlar, how to tell which pads fits my brakes, and links to where the pads can be bought.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Greer_ wrote:
    I love their stuff, prices and especially the quick delivery, but I can't say the same about their customer service. Any time I've emailed them, I've received a very generic reply.

That surprises me, i've bought loads of stuff from them and emailed them for various reasons and always got prompt, very good targeted help & advice.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    pilch wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:
    I love their stuff, prices and especially the quick delivery, but I can't say the same about their customer service. Any time I've emailed them, I've received a very generic reply.

That surprises me, i've bought loads of stuff from them and emailed them for various reasons and always got prompt, very good targeted help & advice.

It's annoying but I get on with it, I do realise they must get lots of emails a day. I usually get my question answered in their second reply, would just prefer to get it straight away!
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    i keep asking for different things in green - keep getting sorry we dont do it :-(
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just