Seized cassette lockring

dav1
dav1 Posts: 1,298
edited July 2012 in The workshop
I am in the process of rebuilding my bike and have run into an issue with swapping the cassette onto a new wheel.

No matter how hard I try the lockring will not budge. I have secured the lockring tool with a QR and applied as much force to the chainwhip and wrench as I possibly can! A soaking of WD40 doesnt seem to have helped either.

Is there anything I can do or is it new cassette time? I am also worried because its a 105 hub, which I intend to rebuild in the future.
Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP

Comments

• getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Try looking at this for inspiration - extended leverage (or a blow torch!) seems to be the common solution.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/seized-cassette-lock-ringwhat-to-do
  • dav1
    I fear ill bust the chain whip with extra leverage. Ill try heating it this evening. If not are there any options that involve destroying the lockring? I have several spares so I can afford to lose it provided I preserve the freehub.

I have orderd a cassette to get me out of trouble if needed (if not it will be used when this one wears out anyway), so at a worst case sinario I could damage the cassette if it comes to it.

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    WD40 is as much use as piss.

plus gas works.

what is the cassette and the hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dav1
    105 5600 hub and a shimano HG50 8 speed cassette

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hold the wheel upright on the ground, fit the tools at 10 to 2, push down with your weight. It will loosen.
    Probably suddenly though and cause pain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    cooldad wrote:
    Hold the wheel upright on the ground, fit the tools at 10 to 2, push down with your weight. It will loosen.
    Probably suddenly though and cause pain.

the cassette will also try and eat your hand at the same time.... well it did when I had this problem a couple of cassettes ago.