Riding in a club

yeachan153
yeachan153 Posts: 401
edited July 2012 in Road general
Going for a first club ride tommorow.

Is there anything special I need to be aware of? Also, do most clubs require you to wear their kit for club runs? I had a look and it seemed a bit expensive for me; off course if I enjoy it I will get it over some time but right now it's too expensive!

Comments

• xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    In my club you can wear whatever you like, we have club kit, and that's what I mainly have as it was a good price for decent gear and I had little other cycle stuff when I started.

Just settle somewhere in the middle, keep a nice straight line, don't wobble around too much and try to keep "on" someone's wheel, ie pretty close behind. You will get a huge benefit in reduced effort needed. try not to let a gap form if you can, makes it so much easier. We always wait at the top of climbs etc and re group have a chat etc, no one is left behind, Sometimes little groups form within the main group, just find a pace you are comfy with. If you drop right off the back then a stronger rider may drop back and help bring you back to the group.

Just enjoy it, I have only been riding a year, but love the club rides now, takes a few to learn the signals and calls, but don't worry about that on the first one, just concentrate on riding!
  • Take enough to eat and drink. I turned up for my first club ride with a bottle of water, expecting to do the 40k slow ride only to discover that it wasn't being run that week and ended up going on a 70k ride not-so-slow ride. It all went a bit pear-shaped after 50k. Don't worry about the club kit.
  • yeachan153
    If someone at the front shouts 'hole!', and I am for example 4th in line and others are behind do I need to shout out hole as well? Also, how foes taking turns at the front work? Is there a signal I need to watch out for?

Reckon I'll go with the slowest group just to focus on the etiquette and learn how to group ride; takes the pressure off. Thanks for advice all
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Don't worry about taking turns on front, I just shout as soon as I hear anyone else shout, car up, hole, gravel etc. Let's the message get back down the group.
  • Like the OP I'm off on a first club run on Sunday. I'm guessing a full water bottle and a couple of flapjacks shoved in pockets will do - they said that they stop half way around. And it's England - If I collapse on the roadside I can always get a taxi home.

Fingers crossed it doesn't rain!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Take enough to eat and drink. I turned up for my first club ride with a bottle of water, expecting to do the 40k slow ride only to discover that it wasn't being run that week and ended up going on a 70k ride not-so-slow ride. It all went a bit pear-shaped after 50k. Don't worry about the club kit.

that is a big downer and something clubs need to be aware of. my first time was this week and turned up expecting to have a nice easy ride with the ten group to find that they had combined with the twelves so the ride was further and faster than i would have wished, with lots of stopping and the routes seeming to be worked out on the hoof and by the more vocal seniors. what with all the other things you have to think about, coping with heavier traffic, riding in a group, cleating in and out regularly it made for a more nerve wracking. as it was, i averaged 12.5 and was ok but might have been a struggle
  • yeachan153
    It went really well, everyone was friendly and jolly; although my bottom 5 gears didn't work which made it hard on the climbs. Don't know why I didn't give it a go earlier actually!

Thanks everyone for the advice, I took 5 bars and a High5 2 in 1 drink with a bottle of water. Over packed, but always worth having more then less I figured
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I thought my first club ride was tough and was put off going again until I realised it was a 2/3/4 road race :(
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I turned up for my first club run all nervous and excited. I introduced myself and the guy looked me up and down and told me "we are doing 90 miles today" and just to make sure I got the message followed it with "and it is going to be hilly"

Needless to say I didn't go but instead one of the older guys at the cafe said i could join him and we a did an enjoyble 45 miles instead.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    Take enough to eat and drink. I turned up for my first club ride with a bottle of water, expecting to do the 40k slow ride only to discover that it wasn't being run that week and ended up going on a 70k ride not-so-slow ride. It all went a bit pear-shaped after 50k. Don't worry about the club kit.
    I did the exact same thing.

I turned up with 500ml water and a tiny 200kcal flapjack expecting a 30 mile easy paced ride. Turns out that we we're doing a 65 mile ride that included a climb out of Cheddar Gorge... I cracked big time in the last ten miles :lol: