frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Hincapie's bike:
george.jpg

Wiggins new marginal gain tactic:
tour+1.jpg

profile-01.jpg

Should be a Valverde/Gerrans/Gilbert/Sagan finish hopefully.

Interestingly reading steephill's preview, you have:

In 1995, on a similar but less hilly Ardennes loop, Johan Bruyneel sat on Miguel Indurain's wheel for 30k in the break before passing him at the line to take the win and the yellow jersey. The next day, Miguel Inderain took revenge by winning a 54 km individual time-trial in Seraing where this year's Stage 1 finishes.
RTXFXDP-640.jpg

JB looks so different know / what a slimy wheel-sucker / BigMig class / check those specs!
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tour+3.jpg
    tour+2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,605
    Seraing hosted the prologue of the 06 Giro, is the hill the same one they went up in that? That was a brute
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited June 2012
    Seraing hosted the prologue of the 06 Giro, is the hill the same one they went up in that? That was a brute

It doesn't look like it:
    EDIT: Having looked at a map, it's definitely a different climb.

PROFILKMS.jpg

giro06stg1.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Lets see if those lost kilos make a difference for Cav!
    Should be Gilbert, no?
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    inseine wrote:
    Lets see if those lost kilos make a difference for Cav!
    Should be Gilbert, no?

Based on 2011 you would expect a repeat stage 1 victory for Gilbert.

However based on 2012 form up to today, not so much. Pip was very good today though, so you would have to fancy him.

Then again, so was Chavanel. He should be in that group.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Brailsford said they'll be going with Hagen for this finish. Look a good one for him too.
  • takethehighroad
    This may end up being wrong, but I'm convinced Sagan will disappoint today, for a few reasons.

- It's his first TDF and the speed in the bunch is faster than any other race. This stage is also a long one at 198km
    - The field he was up against in California and Switzerland was no where near as strong as the one he'll be up against today.
    - He looked much too keen yesterday, and I can see him trying a Banzai move and falling off.
    - The Belgians, and especially Gilbert will be fired up for this stage.

Now watch the action unfold and prove me wrong.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Coverage starts on ITV4 at 1300 hrs for those that didn't know. Really looking forward to this ;)
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Sky in yellow lids for the leading Team, new requirement from the ASO: AwtdWKiCQAEnxvm.jpg
  • sonny73
    AwtauH7CQAEiZce.jpg
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I think lots of people have been quick to write off Cav and pass his crown to Sagan. We'll see :wink:
  • sonny73
    http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2012/us/live/aso/
    6 out front 4:00; Bouet (ALM), Delaplace (SAU), Edet (COF), Gene (EUC), Morkov (STB) & Urtasun (EUS)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    3:45 the gap - six escapees: Gene (EUC), Urtasun Perez (EUS), Bouet (ALM), Edet (COF), Delaplace (SAU) and Morkov (STB)
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    the breakaway moving on nicely - its almost 5 minutes that they lead the peloton by at this point - Morkov takes it again so nice to put down a mark on a polka dot jersey early on
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Those yellow helmets dont work (in the style sense)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Biggest question... Who's coverage is best? Eurosport or ITV4? I'm torn.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Islwyn wrote:

ES have Sean Kelly ... enough said ...
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Islwyn wrote:

Ever since watching Chasing Legends I've grown a bit of love for Phil Ligett behind the mic :(
  • takethehighroad
    A couple of stages of the Tour will douse that fire for you.

He's good on the highlights, that's all I can say
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Islwyn wrote:
    Islwyn wrote:

Ever since watching Chasing Legends I've grown a bit of love for Phil Ligett behind the mic :(

You must like americanisms then - Cos Liggett & Sherwin pander to the yank audience even tho they work for a BRITISH station. Both talk horse manure...Why dont you twitter them and ask them why didnt they mention the "Texan Messiah" yesterday.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Those yellow helmets are horrendous. No-cares about the team classification ffs.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Love it.

Interview with Tony Gallopin and in the other shot, a horse... galloping.

Clever.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    You must like americanisms then - Cos Liggett & Sherwin pander to the yank audience even tho they work for a BRITISH station. Both talk horse manure...Why dont you twitter them and ask them why didnt they mention the "Texan Messiah" yesterday.

I am not so sure this is true, i think ITV must pay for the verse commentary because I was visiting Alaska when the tour was on two years ago and watching the verses channel for a live stage. When I got home a few days later and catching up on the highlights it sounded like the same commentary featured so I would imagine it's they pander to the american audience because that is who they are working for.

Hence why they talk up amercian cyclists and bang on about how riders performed in the tour of california even though that is no real indication of how someone is performing this season.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2012
    n 1995, on a similar but less hilly Ardennes loop, Johan Bruyneel sat on Miguel Indurain's wheel for 30k in the break before passing him at the line to take the win and the yellow jersey. […] what a slimy wheel-sucker
    It was his job to win if possible and if that was the only way he could do it, so be it. Honour is for us amateurs – maybe.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

You must like americanisms then - Cos Liggett & Sherwin pander to the yank audience even tho they work for a BRITISH station.

Their primary employers are NBC, not ITV.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    How's people liking the new saxo and garmin tops?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • afx237vi
    Intermediate sprint coming up.
  • afx237vi
    Orica's new kit is really confusing. Looks awfully like Vacansoleil from the front.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

You must like americanisms then - Cos Liggett & Sherwin pander to the yank audience even tho they work for a BRITISH station.

Their primary employers are NBC, not ITV.

They do a clever multi-region package, edited for several territories. The Americans don't see the Boardman/Boulting bits, for instance. Can't remember what the Australians see, but it wouldn't surprise me that they mix the Ligwen parts with their own local fillers after the ad breaks.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    On the helmets issue are helmets covered by the same kit change rules?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition