Lidl Bike Stand £29.99 from 5th July

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited July 2012 in Road buying advice
Apppppparently Lidl are doing a maintenance stand from 5th July (thursday) for £29.99

Just thought Id post as I saw it mentioned on another forum.

Comments

• Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    Cheers, been looking for a 2nd hand one to pop up! Anybody used the lidl one! If so what's it like?
  • Don't have one myself but am going to get one this time if possible - they are apparently vg do a Search they have been discussed a few times before on here.

As far as I remember the LIDL ones are the same as these ones -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MECHANIC ... 230d2a53af
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Barrzy257 wrote:
    Cheers, been looking for a 2nd hand one to pop up! Anybody used the lidl one! If so what's it like?
    I've got one. It's definitely worth the money although I re-engineered a couple of the joints to improve clamping force.
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    Don't have one myself but am going to get one this time if possible - they are apparently vg do a Search they have been discussed a few times before on here.

I have one of those. Not from LIDL, but from flea bay. It's a good stand for the price - very solid and chunky.

It is quite big and heavy though and takes a couple of minutes to set up and take down. For £30, you probably can't beat it, although I do still find myself lusting after a Park Tool Pro one....but for a couple of hundred quid, they can keep those.
  • adm1 wrote:
    Don't have one myself but am going to get one this time if possible - they are apparently vg do a Search they have been discussed a few times before on here.

I have one of those. Not from LIDL, but from flea bay. It's a good stand for the price - very solid and chunky.

It is quite big and heavy though and takes a couple of minutes to set up and take down. For £30, you probably can't beat it, although I do still find myself lusting after a Park Tool Pro one....but for a couple of hundred quid, they can keep those.

Lusting after Park tools is one of my problems as well - and there aren't even any scantily clad girls in their adverts - How sad does that make us ? :shock:
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    Lusting after Park tools is one of my problems as well - and there aren't even any scantily clad girls in their adverts - How sad does that make us ? :shock:

Damn. You've just made me start thinking about the Assos girls....

Must think about chain whips instead. No, wait, that's not right either.....
  • Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of ordering one of these on eBay. Looks like I can save a couple of bob ;-)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Never having got anything from Lidl before does anyone know how quickly stuff goes? Do I need to get there at opening time or is there plenty of stock (I'm after a stand)
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    simona75 wrote:
    Never having got anything from Lidl before does anyone know how quickly stuff goes? Do I need to get there at opening time or is there plenty of stock (I'm after a stand)
    If you can get there early then do to avoid the queues at the tills if nothing else. As for whether stuff goes quick, when it's high value-low cost items they tend to go quick particularly when they get promoted a lot on forums.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    simona75 wrote:
    If you can get there early then do to avoid the queues at the tills if nothing else. As for whether stuff goes quick, when it's high value-low cost items they tend to go quick particularly when they get promoted a lot on forums.

Ta, will go on the way to work then
  • simona75 wrote:
    simona75 wrote:

Ta, will go on the way to work then

I got one last year, and con not fault it, My local store only had 2 allocated to them, i got the wife to nice and early.
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • biscuit959
    biscuit959 Posts: 111
    Yeah I went sometime last year when they had the deals on and they were sold out by midday. Not sure how many they got in tbf, buts its a decent sized shop so I'd imagine a few.

Not sure what time the shop opens? but I'm gonna get there for about 8am this week to get a stand lol
  • dindi_boy
    dindi_boy Posts: 24
    I picked up one a year ago and I'm quite pleased with it. Think I paid £40ish, and that's pretty good value compared to some of the other ones on the market. I just happened to be in the right store at the right time. I do all my shopping at lidl......

:wink:
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Comes with a 3 year manufacturers warranty too 8)

Worth a punt at £30, so I'll be getting one for sure.
  • Barrzy257 wrote:
    I've got one. It's definitely worth the money although I re-engineered a couple of the joints to improve clamping force.

Hi I am planning to get one on Thurs could you post the modifications you made so I could do them? PS Rudimentary DIY skills so please make it as simple as poss please.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I got one for £30 last year, very good for the money.

The only problem with them is as you clamp the seat post the front of the bike always swings down to the floor. Some people drill a hole to put a locking bolt in the stand. I just put something under the wheel to keep the bike level.

I did mention it to someone at the shop a few weeks later and the lad turned to me and said I was clamping it wrong, and that I should clamp the top tube as in the picture on the box (and the link above)

I can't clamp my mtb like that because of the shape of it, and I'm just NOT clamping the road bike like that! :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Cheers for the heads-up.

I know where I'll be 8am on Thursday!
  • How long have I been waiting for these to come around again (not having been aware of them being available on ebay?!

But, now I get around to reminding myself about clamping carbon on one of these and sheldon brown says this:

The clamp can crush a carbon-fiber tube -- a couple of thousand dollars' loss with one dull, hollow "crack". Clamp the bicycle by the seat post instead. If the seat post is also of carbon fiber, replace it with a metal one before lifting the bicycle onto the work stand.

So, I have to purchase and insert a metal seatpost everytime I want to work on the bike, really?

Or pay for an expensive pro mechanic stand?
  • biscuit959
    I guess thats the only way to do it. But tbf, you can get a cheapo seatpost off ebay probably for a fiver. Or even just get a length of tube thats the right diameter?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    While I wouldn't clamp my carbon frame, I have clamped the seat post before with no problems. It's clamped by the seat post clamp on the bike at 5Nm which is tighter than I do up the clamp on the workstand.

I reckon the carbon seat post (on my bike at least) is a fair bit thicker than the walls of the top tube of the frame.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Yeah, on reflection I suppose that carbon seat posts are designed to be clamped (by the seat post clamp) unlike top tubes. So if they can take the seat post clamp, why can't they take the workstand clamp?

Is there an issue with the seat post being clamped in two places at once?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If one of those places is London and the other Edinburgh I would say it's a significant problem :-) Sorry, I'll get my coat.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ct4oc
    ct4oc Posts: 98
    I got one last year, just can't fault it at the price! Had to call a couple of stores until I found one tho!
  • biscuit959
    Little update: Just paid my local store a visit (Finchfield Hill - Wolverhampton) to try and be cheeky and buy one tonight but they wouldn't let me lol. Said they've got 30 in stock though so shouldn't be a problem. Its quite a big Lidl though so might not be the same everywhere
  • biscuit959 wrote:
    Little update: Just paid my local store a visit (Finchfield Hill - Wolverhampton) to try and be cheeky and buy one tonight but they wouldn't let me lol. Said they've got 30 in stock though so shouldn't be a problem. Its quite a big Lidl though so might not be the same everywhere

Good to know, that will be my second port of call if Stourbridge has run out.
  • Just picked mine up from the Bishop Aukland store (St. Helens Auckland
    DL14 9AB Durham) and so at 08.15 there were 15 left there if anyone's looking in this area :D .

Impressed so far - I always expect cheap stuff to be light and flimsy but this is very solid feeling and re-assuringly heavy. I popped my bike in it and clamped it via the seat post (Spesh alloy post with carbon wrap) and it seemed solid (no tipping forward as andy reported but I suppose it's early days but as said if it does it looks pretty easy to fix with a simple mod to stop the post that holds the clamp rotating). The clamp itself is quiet long and so the load on the post from that must surely be spread over a much, much longer area than the load from the frame clamp.

The only slight issue is the bolt on the QR for fixing the tripod legs on the centre post is a bit too long. It catches the inside of the blue plastic cam lever as you swing it in to lock it down. I think maybe for £29.99 though I will live with that. It looks like it may well just rub itself a little deeper groove on the cam with use. It is usable though and if it bugs me I suppose I can always pick up a 3-4mm shorter bolt, or a nut to act as a spacer on the other end of the bolt or even a butterfly nut to replace the cam lever, for a few pence in B&Q. If anyone else finds the same thing with their lower QR though, and either finds another solution, or decides to take it back, let me know please what they do at Lidl?

All in all quite happy and a bit amazed at how solid and heavy the stand is.
  • biscuit959
    Yeah picked mine up this morning and as stated above its really solid. I was a little nervous to start with after the stability reports lol, so put my (much less valueble) mountain bike in first in case it tipped over but it is really solid. And my mtb is pretty heavy so the stand has no problems at all with puny little road bikes.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Lidl Dursley had a load of stock this morning (about 8:30) i picked one up and will put it together tonight hopefully. Was tempted to buy two just in case a fellow local BR user missed out, but the wife would kill me.
  • Re above. Stand does feel reassuringly sturdy and solid.
    Small tip, Some piping insulation foam, cut in 2 and trimmed away to cushion the frame from the rather plasticky jaw/clamp.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.