Post mount caliper thread gone

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
Hoping someone can help! I bought a rockshox recon silver fork from fleabay upon getting it I have noticed that the bottom post mount thread where the caliper screws into has pretty much gone it just doesnt tighten up at all (the top one is fine) I have contacted the seller as I suspect he probably didnt know (give him the benefit of the doubt!) have taken to LBS and they said to contact a local engineering company to get a helicoil fitted.

Now to be honest I didnt pay that much for the forks and dont really want to be forking (no pun intended) out for this.

So questions are 1.)anyone tried these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Piece-Thre ... 596wt_1166

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    use em all the time at work. excellent solution
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Cogsy1976
    easy enough for a complete amateur? or best left to the pro's and if left to the pro's what sort of price would I be looking at to get it done? any ideas?

Cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There generally isn't enough meat in the posts for helicoiling. New lowers is the solution, but expensive.
    Send them back and get a refund. Not worth the hassle.

And being a cynical type - wonder why the seller was selling them, couldn't be because they are fubared, could it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cogsy1976
    Yeah I have opened a case on ebay, he is selling some other stuff, what has p'd me off is that I sent him a message last night which he hasnt replied to so I went on my other ebay account and sent him a message about some wheels he has for sale and lo and behold I get an answer straight back so he is ignoring me so yes you are probably right, I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt (probably stupid of me!)
  • cooldad
    Best solution. Ebay/Paypal go in favour of the buyer 99% of the time, but generally the seller backs down before then.

I'm very wary of used suspension parts, always expensive if something is wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:

I'm very wary of used suspension parts, always expensive if something is wrong.

This with big brass knobs on. Helicoiling might work but as cooldad says there isnt a lot of metal and you only get one shot at it. Not sure if I would do it myself I think I would slightly prefer to have a go with a good quality 2 part liquid metal bonder like JB Weld one that can be drilled and threaded. We used to use it a lot and never had a bolt pull out.

Best get your money back and put it down to experience.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Could try and re tap it carefully does it or use a bigger tap or just get on the phone to fleabay
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't retap metal back in though can you - what a daft suggestion!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    Get your cash back and offer him stupid money for the FUBAR'd bits and have a go at helicoil repair, on the small stuff it's only like going uop 1mm in size or so, I've sucessfully done exactly the same repair and had no issues at all. Why not get a quote from a local engineering firm, reckom about £20, you could win win.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Helicoil will be fine there is plenty enough metal around the hole. Remember your only opening the hole up 1-2mm
    and then refitting metal so the original bolt can be used. And to the OP yes dead easy to use! a 5 year old could do it!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • cooldad
    steelie600 wrote:
    Helicoil will be fine there is plenty enough metal around the hole. Remember your only opening the hole up 1-2mm
    and then refitting metal so the original bolt can be used. And to the OP yes dead easy to use! a 5 year old could do it!
    No there isn't. You seem to have forgotten what your sig says.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The exact reason they should have insertable steel nuts.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    The exact reason they should have insertable steel nuts.
    Also the reason IS should be used, and post mount discarded into the anus of history.
  • cooldad
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^plus all the potatoes in Ireland.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools