Tyre soap

TheEnglishman
TheEnglishman Posts: 587
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Coming from a motorbike background where if you don't use tyre soap you won't get a tyre on (or off if there's rim locks in use)a rim (unless you have access to a hydraulic tyre press) I've come across quite a few comments and sucking of teeth around putting tyres on rims. It started with putting Schwalbe Marathon Plus's on my Brompton. The place I bought them from said it took 3 of them to fit them! Then the same with non-steel beaded ones I just bought for a 700C rim.

Now I'd definitely advise against washing up liquid as it has a high salt content, which would be bad for any untreated alloy but tyre soap (a lifetimes supply from Kwik Fit if you give them a decent sob story) is perfect. It dries out nicely to chalk and avoids all that gnashing, wailing and skinned knuckles.

What's not to like?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some people resort to it or you learn the fit tyres correctly.

go onto youtube and search marathon plus. no special tools needed just diligence.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    nicklouse wrote:
    some people resort to it or you learn the fit tyres correctly.

go onto youtube and search marathon plus. no special tools needed just diligence.
    ...and a beard :D . Managed to fit the rear using his teachings but not the front for some reason.