Vinyl Wrap your Forks?

dry664
dry664 Posts: 155
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got hold of a new frame and but my black RS SID is going to look a bit naff with it :-) The SID is only a few months old and more than that its just had some new lowers from RS under warranty so its mint. I don't really want to respray it. I was wondering if anyone had tried to vinyl wrap on their forks? Was thinking of something like 3M's di-noc. It seems like a logical solution!? Thoughts?

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Black goes with anything, what colour is the frame?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looking naff is better than being naff, IMHO.
    Leave them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sparky.2002
    sparky.2002 Posts: 118
    Done my toras. Looks ok ish, bordering naff. Doesn't hold up to impacts, was a bastard to wrap round the caliper mount(IS). The wrap was a fiver off ebay, give it a whirl, comes off easy enough if you don't like it.
  • dry664
    cooldad wrote:
    Looking naff is better than being naff, IMHO.
    Leave them.

What about looking naff AND being naff?

Here's the frame. The colour scheme is white (obviously), light grey and dark blue. Adding black just seems wrong....
    http://www.whytebikes.com/2010/19crace.html
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    That much vinyl wrap will probably increase weight as well. Normally that wouldn't be an issue, but why buy a SID and then add, I dunno, half a pound or so of weight to it?
  • dry664
    Wrapping seems to be a bad idea.

Other option is to keep the white fork that came with the frame. Its a 2010 SID Race but its got a couple of large gouges out of the lowers. Took it for a long test and it feels great except the compression damper seems a bit iffy. Probabl just needs a service. Was thinking it would be shame to sell a SID that i know is perfect and replace it for an older one that I dont know much about.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It would seem stupid, yes. Use what works well, and stop worrying about the looks, it's a mountain bike, not a model.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools