Worlds lightest Bottle Cage

PeakRider91
PeakRider91 Posts: 62
edited August 2012 in Road general
I have just bought x2 Tune Skyline Carbon Bottle Cages at 5g each, my plan is to take my nano drill and shed the weight of them to at least 3g each or possibly less, I feel that the alloy bolts that come with them are just excessive weight.

Could anyone recommend any hollow plastic, ti ect bolts that are lighter?

Also do you think I could get away with just having one bolt in each cage really tight?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Have a big poo before you ride, could say yourself a good 300gs :wink:
  • I always do Pnev.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Pnev wrote:
    Have a big poo before you ride, could say yourself a good 300gs :wink:

I was about to say the same as he's obviously full of it. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    I have just bought x2 Tune Skyline Carbon Bottle Cages at 5g each, my plan is to take my nano drill and shed the weight of them to at least 3g each or possibly less, I feel that the alloy bolts that come with them are just excessive weight.

Also do you think I could get away with just having one bolt in each cage really tight?

Thanks for the help

I recommend you refrain from wearing the fake police high vis you claim to have bought and that will save more than 4g.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023

Thanks for the help
    You can't be serious...
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Forget the screws; weld them to the frame... :D
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Will save around 500-800 grammes each time the bottle falls out.
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    I've no experience with lightweight bottle holders but here are my top ten alternative weight saving options in the 2g mark you are looking to save:

1. Colonic Irrigation
    2. Thoroughly remove all earwax
    3. Urinate even if you don't need to
    4. Shave off ALL body hair
    5. Have an exfoliating scrub before cycling
    6. Get dry air in your tyres, the moisture content of normal air can be high on some days
    7. Shorten all cables to the minimum possible on the bike
    8. Remove all nasal debris
    9. Clip all nails, hands and feet to minimum specification
    10. Always use tyres and brakes at the minimum acceptable wear.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • Is it possible to put helium in your inner tubes or tubeless tyres?
  • also would this be more beneficial in weight saving then drag? bike-balloon.jpg
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Nitrus oxide?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • tallmansix
    edited June 2012
    I recommend you fill your tyres with Hydrogen for maximum weight saving. :twisted:

Hydrogen will leak more quickly than normal air so you will need to carry a hydrogen refill canister as well to keep them topped up.

And carry a lighter or matches to check for leaks, far easier to find a leak with hydrogen than normal air, you hear a distinctive siren sound as the ambulance comes.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • Also can someone answer this old conundrum.

Are dust caps really needed?
  • tallmansix
    Also can someone answer this old conundrum.

Are dust caps really needed?

Well generally the total weight of dust ingress doesn't usually exceed the weight of the cap, so in most cases capless saves the most.

I'd also recommend valve-less tubes, ask if you can have them prefilled with hydrogen for maximum effect.

Also, if your seat post isn't at it's highest setting, you can remove any excess with a hack saw.

Without risking dehydration, why don't you experiment by reducing the contents of your bottle by 2ml on a ride, that will save 2g. Also sugar content in the bottle will increase weight for the same volume, so keep it low.

And finally, I don't really use the end 10mm of my handle bars much, another gram or two saved.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Odd, really odd.
  • How heavy is dust out of interest?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Is that you Bhima?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tallmansix wrote:
    I've no experience with lightweight bottle holders but here are my top ten alternative weight saving options in the 2g mark you are looking to save:

1. Colonic Irrigation
    2. Thoroughly remove all earwax
    3. Urinate even if you don't need to
    4. Shave off ALL body hair
    5. Have an exfoliating scrub before cycling
    6. Get dry air in your tyres, the moisture content of normal air can be high on some days
    7. Shorten all cables to the minimum possible on the bike
    8. Remove all nasal debris
    9. Clip all nails, hands and feet to minimum specification
    10. Always use tyres and brakes at the minimum acceptable wear.

You forgot to mention having a kidney removed. You don't need two. Stick it on eBay and buy a faster nano drill. You know it makes sense.
  • Hmm now that I think about it could always go for the chop aswell, also make that saddle abit more comfy.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Is it possible to put helium in your inner tubes or tubeless tyres?

yes but it makes practically no difference... i save more weight shaving my pubes.
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    Get a single chainring and ditch the leftside mech/shifter. Then wash your paintwork with a brillo pad.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • ethanhayes
    ethanhayes Posts: 112
    May as well empty your testicles while your at it too.
    Semem is pretty heavy!

Shave eye brows and pluck lashes for extra weight reduction! Each lash is 1E-10kg 100nN you know
  • What other body parts can you donate, also how often can you donate a pint of blood and a shot glass of seaman.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    why donate? that just takes time. climb in the shower and make a few cuts with a blade. once your colour starts to drain or you feel cold/cant feel your limbs then you have probably gone too far.

you will need to wax your whole body (shaving doesnt last very long), remove your ears (they are bad for aerodynamics) but leave a little flap on top for your glasses.

might get away with losing a few toes, fingers etc.
  • PeakRider91
    PeakRider91 Posts: 62
    edited June 2012
    So just to confirm its more beneficial to run my bike without dust caps, but dust can accumulate in time and add excess weight? Would dust not accumulate if I left my valve caps upside-down when my bike was not in use?

Thanks
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    I've had my appendix removed, must of saved a good few grams there!
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Hmm now that I think about it could always go for the chop aswell, also make that saddle abit more comfy.
    Make sure you get the big one on your forehead removed at the same time!!!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you cut your ears off you'll not only save weight but reduce drag.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Drill loads of weight saving holes in your water bottles too - another few grammes saved there. You could always swap those heavy steel brake inner cables and replace them with cotton. 2m of cotton weighs virtually nothing. Remove any excess spokes from your wheels - you only need 6 per wheel.

:lol:
  • Technically you only need 3 spokes per wheel.