Turbo trainer advice?.

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
Looking at purchasing a turbo trainer i have around £150 to spend. I will need to put it in the converted loft so it needs to be as quiet as possible?. I had one around 3 years ago but was rather loud?. Any suggestions would be great.
Many thanks.

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Whatever you go for, try and get one second hand. I got a Tacx Satori in almost brand new condition for £50!
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The quietest ones are still pretty loud.
    Try and go 2nd hand from someone who can't stand using it and just wants to get rid.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Good thinking guys secondhand seems the best way to go.
  • AndyTuck
    AndyTuck Posts: 3
    I have a cycleops fluid bough new which is not too loud. I read up on turbos before I bought it and some comments were that fluid types are much quieter than the mag ones. If you do go for 2nd hand, I don't think much can go wrong with magnetic ones but with fluid there's always a chance of leaking.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    AndyTuck wrote:
    I have a cycleops fluid bough new which is not too loud. I read up on turbos before I bought it and some comments were that fluid types are much quieter than the mag ones. If you do go for 2nd hand, I don't think much can go wrong with magnetic ones but with fluid there's always a chance of leaking.

Unless it's a Kurt Kinetic, whose sealed fluid chamber design means they don't ever leak. And being built like tanks, the trainer might well last for ever, so would make an excellent 2nd hand purchase.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/wont_leak.php
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    If you can stretch a bit more get the jet fluid pro, if not the minoura bd60 is pretty good, and can be bought brand new for about £90.00, I've got both and both are good but the fluid pro is awesome and diffinetely worth the double in price, as has a very smooth flywheel and real road feel.