Correcting run out on wheels

TheEnglishman
TheEnglishman Posts: 587
edited June 2012 in Workshop
My rear wheel has a small amount of run out and it's *just* enough to annoy my enough to do something about it.

Only I've never adjusted spokes before. I take it there's nothing more to do than tightening the nearest spoke on the opposite side of the hub to the way the run out goes in quarter or maybe half turn increments.

Am I right in thinking that because the wheel's already 'made' I don't need to worry about spoke tensions etc?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Correcting radial true error is an iterative process. Opposing spokes are not working against each other; only the spokes in the area you want to move are to be adjusted. If you loosen them, you get a high spot (i.e. the local radius increases), if you tighten them you get a low spot.

You will need to check spoke tension as you work and you will also have to check that your lateral true is still acceptable as you work. As you're working on a rear wheel you'll also have to deal with the dish of the wheel (unequal spoke tension between left and right side). To do that you'll need a dishing tool (you can make one from a piece of wood).

Correcting radial true on a rear wheel is not something I'd recommend to a beginner TBH.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Also you really need a truing jig to radialy run out properly. Coirrecting lateral run out can be done against the brake pads. Zip ties are used by some. I have a Park TS2.2 so it's easy for me.

Spoke tensions should be checked. I always do and wheels go out for a reason. It may be due to uneven spoke tension or spoke wind up that was not removed or poor stress relieving. Maybe the nipple has unwound a bit, take ytoiu pick buut check tension.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks folks. It's a new bike, but I'm not confident the shop I got it from will do anything more than just swap the wheel for another one they have in stock.

It it gets any worse I'll take them to someone who knows what they're doing, as everyone I talk to says 'well the next thing you're going to buy is a new set of wheels - makes a massive difference' Other than that I'll just put up with having a bit more slack in the brakes before they bite.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get them sorted now before they get worse.

if the shop swaps them out for another set so what. they could well be better than the ones now. Or they might actually do what is needed and what is done at the first service at about 6 weeks.

go over every thing and adjust the bits that need it as they bed in.

gears. brakes. wheels. headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown