ankle braces

MDobs
MDobs Posts: 167
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Does any one know a good ankle brace for use on a bike?

the only one i've seen from bike specific companies is one from 661 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sixsixone-raceb ... e-support/

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    There are a few here:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... lery=false

I don't have an ankle brace (yet :) ) but I have various other bits from Mueller and EVS. Mueller are on Wiggle and they are more towards the general-purpose sports end of the market. I have an EVS shoulder brace and it's fine but more DH/moto orientated.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Hmm, if you've got an ankle injury, I'd suggest that you stay off the bike for a while. Ankles work hard on a mountian bike, you don't want to mess things up.
  • Giggsmaster
    Giggsmaster Posts: 632
    I use this when I'm on the bike after I recovered from a very bad sprain. I can't vouch whether it works or not because I ain't come off again yet..... (touch wood)

It's the ones Andy Murray wears.

Ankle Support
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Hmm, if you've got an ankle injury, I'd suggest that you stay off the bike for a while. Ankles work hard on a mountian bike, you don't want to mess things up.
    Speaking from experience - this is sound advice.

I do still ride with a recovering injury but not the fun off road stuff that gets you out of the saddle as that can make it a lot worse. General riding on bridlepaths and on the road seems to be okay but listen to your body, if it hurts, stop. Obviously riding on bridlepaths and the road is dull but if it's at least some biking I find I don't sulk quite as much :D
  • MDobs

oh, i'm not going to be back on the bike for a while. had surgery to remove damaged bone and cartilage and micro-fracturing (microscopic holes drilled into the bone) to encourage bone/cartilage regrowth in the damaged area, i'm off my feet (totally non-weight bearing) for 6 weeks then got to build up strength again. the brace is so i can get riding soon as possible and give me some support/confidence while i'm strengthening up again. all i do at the moment really is xc stuff so it's not jumps or anything heavy, i don't even spend much time out of the saddle to be honest.

giggs - cheers for the link, i'll look into it
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I'd still be more than a little wary. Even if you're not doing jumps and so on, XC riding still puts an enormous load on ankles.

Still, good luck to you, hope you make a good recovery.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'd still be more than a little wary. Even if you're not doing jumps and so on, XC riding still puts an enormous load on ankles.

This, seriously take it easily, don't use the brace to try and let you do stuff before you're ready. I speak from experience, I'm having proper ankle issues years after initally breaking it just because I wouldn't take my time getting back into the swing of things and letting the joint recover properly.

Although to be fair it holds up fine for bikes, sadly not for tennis though, need a brace for that. Really hits me when I go swimming, the difference between the two ankles in terms of their strength is very noticeable.
  • chichee
    chichee Posts: 104
    I use this when I'm on the bike after I recovered from a very bad sprain. I can't vouch whether it works or not because I ain't come off again yet..... (touch wood)

It's the ones Andy Murray wears.

Ankle Support

This is an awesome support. I use it for badminton due to ankle injuries I have sustained in the past. Well worth it and gives me the confidence to play as normal, without having to worry about my ankle.
  • MDobs

cheers, and i am going to be taking it easy, it's already been a year and a half since the original injury so i'm happy to finally be getting it sorted, not going to jeopardise that.

the ankle joint itself is solid (i hope), there's no ligament or tendon damage (that i'm aware of at the moment!) it's the bone on the top of the foot and a bit of cartilage damage. so i'm hoping it's just a case of building up strength again once it's weight bearing, hence the brace to give me some extra support during that strengthening phase, but we'll see what the consultant says when i go back in 5 weeks time now.

cheers chichee, good to have some further recommendations of that brace
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I sprained my ankle many moons ago and it took a long time to recover and even when it seemed to be better, it would come back painfully on certain drops etc. I bought the 661 one that looked like a sturdy sock with laces up the font and would wear it on every ride and then even in the Alps for a week. Well it totally helped my recovery as I would have been off the bike for 6 or more months.
    I think the as it allowed my ankle to turn while peddling but just stopped the hyper extension it stopped me aggravating the sprain.

I wish I could say the same for my wrist as it seems incurable