New wheels?

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Hey!

I recently purchased a Viking Giro D'Italia (2011), however the standard wheels are very heavy (heavier than the wheels on a very old Peugeot Premiere road bike). I'm going to upgrade the wheels first but need a bit of advice!

Could you recommend the lightest, fastest (but still durable) wheels for less than £50 each? I'm on a bit of a budget, but I presume £50 can get me some pretty nice wheels?

Thanks for any help!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Sorry to rain on your parade fella,but, £50 ain't gonna get you a set of lightweight wheels.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • declan1
    Sorry to rain on your parade fella,but, £50 ain't gonna get you a set of lightweight wheels.

I kinda thought so. What about Shimano R500s? They're around that price. Are they pretty lightweight?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    £95 Would get you a set of shimano rs10s from ribble. Not superlight but most likely better than stock
  • declan1
    Well, just weighed the wheels from the old Peugeot, which feel lighter than the wheels on my bike - both wheels add up to 4.2KG. A set of RS10s comes in at 1.8KG. That's a BIG difference. I'm definitely going to get some of them as my first upgrade!

EDIT - Just realised that my bike only has 7-speeds at the rear; does this mean the RS10s won't work?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred