Really bad Eurosport coverage of TdF Teams Presentation

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited June 2012 in Pro race
We're really looking forward to the Tour getting underway, so after returning home from work today, I sat down with my wife to watch the half hour programme which we recorded on Eurosport earlier today, covering the 'highlights' of presentation of the Tour de France teams.

We both found it really frustrating to watch and listen to as Carlton Kirby and Bryan Smith just talked on and on over the voices of the guys on stage presenting the teams. Carlton and Bryan weren't even translating what the presenters were saying or telling us the names of the more obscure team members as they were introduced. They were just wittering on about things that they will have plenty of time over the next 3 weeks to talk about during the Tour coverage.

It was very frustrating, so much so that we were actually glad that our recorded coverage was cut short as the programme before overran - par for the course for Eurosport.

Interested to hear if others felt the same about the presentation coverage.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It wasn't really Eurosport's fault. You could have had Shakespeare and Dickens doing the commentary and Spielberg and Hitchcock directing the TV pictures and it still would have been dog poo.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MSByrne
    MSByrne Posts: 52
    Worst bit of all was when Kirby made the most horrific ongoing blunder by mistaking the Greenedge team for the OPQS team and talking all about the QS riders with the Greenedge team standing right there on the screen, no-one had the guts to correct him and he just kept on, not realizing... He's awful, I'm glad he won't be doing the bulk of TDF coverage.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    MSByrne wrote:
    Worst bit of all was when Kirby made the most horrific ongoing blunder by mistaking the Greenedge team for the OPQS team and talking all about the QS riders with the Greenedge team standing right there on the screen, no-one had the guts to correct him and he just kept on, not realizing... He's awful, I'm glad he won't be doing the bulk of TDF coverage.

Yeah, this to be honest. Eurosport coverage could actually be made better by getting rid of a commentator. Carlton Kirby will never have a place in my very cycling specific heart.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I can't believe people want to watch the Tour presentation on TV. That's half an hour you'll never get back.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    andyp wrote:
    I can't believe people want to watch the Tour presentation on TV. That's half an hour you'll never get back.
    Much how the riders taking part, feel.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • MSByrne
    MSByrne Posts: 52
    andyp wrote:
    I was hoping they'd have Harmon and Kelly and some interesting pre-tour build up, to make up for the lack of production value from Eurosport throughout the rest of the race. I was sorely disappointed.