DT Swiss X1700 Freehub Overhaul

drumandguitar
drumandguitar Posts: 74
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My freehub is very notchy and sometimes catches so ive taken it apart to clean down. Attached is a photo of said item.

I'm a bit stuck what to do next. Is the next section meant to come off the axle? I dont want to force it too much. Or am I best just greasing it up and re assembling?
Canyon Nerve XC7
Carrera Fury
Specialized Secteur Elite
Planet X Uncle John

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Remove the spring. Then the pawls and clean. Grease lightly and re fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick. I've put it back together and its smooth and seems to work ok but it no longer clicks, just very quietly, nothing like you would expect from a normal hub.

Will I die?
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • nicklouse
    The silence is just the grease being in the way. As the hub works and the pawls move the grease about thevclicking will come back. You should not have too much grease in there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • OK, that makes sense. Ill take it apart and just wipe down some of the excess grease. Presumably too much grease will interfere with the movement of the pawls?

Thanks again.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • nicklouse
    It can do. It can stop it working ;)
  • ...and it failed, as in started to skip under power, luckily about 100m from the end of the trail. I'll have to strip it down again and see whats going on. Ho hum.

I did notice that the spring seemed slacker when I put it back. Could I have overstretched it taking it and the pawls off? Are these replaceable?
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • simowill
    simowill Posts: 56
    I found a pdf somewhere saying if you remove spring a new one is required. So I guess you do.

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • You did well to find a pdf, the DT Swiss website is worse than Sram's for finding anything resembling a useful manual.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • simowill
    Yes i know I stumbled across it some how. I not sure what hubs on my nerve AM dtswiss rims. I think there OEM AM 1950. But all the diagrams and parts list I've seen all have the same part number for the spring.

I'll dig the link out tomorrow

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • Ive just ordered this from CRC.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81209

Should do the trick.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • simowill
    Yep that's the one I found too.

Still can't find my m1950 hubs anywhere.

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • For the record, here's a link to the relevant service manual. What was confusing me is that they are actually called Onyx hubs.

http://www.birota.ru/manuals/dtswiss/onicundceritrev2003-2004.pdf
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John