Boardman Road owners - New BB required

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Need a new BB for my Boardman Road Comp 2010. Its BB30 but i'm particularly annoyed that its gone so soon. I've put thousands of miles on other bikes with none of this, but this has done about 1000 miles. Cleaned fastidiously.

So need a new one, do I have to get the original part or can I fit any BB30 aftermarket BB? I'm going to get the LBS to do it as I've not done it myself and dont trust halfords to tighten a QR skewer never mind replace internals.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the BB is just a set of bearings. so any bearing of choice that is the correct size will be fine.

take them out and then off to a bearing shop. Presuming you have the tools.

see the info on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rob13
    Sealed unit unfortunately and it's a truvativ crank
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    BB30 uses standard industrial cartridge bearings which are simply press-fitted into the frame - standard designation is 6806RS with rubber seals - basic ones from less than a fiver through to ceramic for ££££. Stainless steel is a good option as they are more resistant to corrosion which is what kills BB bearings
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Like I said see the info on Parktools

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... nd-removal

Or use the rest of that site to ID. Your BB if it is not a BB30 but press fit GXP or press fit BB 30 rather than BB30
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Road comp doesn't use BB30. It'll be either GXP or ISIS.
  • rob13
    Thanks, bought myself a Park Tool BBT-19 to pull it off first for inspection. Are these things completely sealed? Was thinking by dismantling and re-greasing I might be able to stop this annoying clicking sound.