Home Insurance

Mike67
Mike67 Posts: 585
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
It's that time of year again to renew my home insurance :(
Magically my current insurer has managed to raise the cost just enough to cancel out my no claims discount...funny that :D

So I'm currently doing the usual trawl around for a better deal and M&S seems pretty good.

It has individual cover for named bikes over £1000 both in and away from the home (accidental damage is covered too).

Has anyone had the misfortune to claim on their bike/s through M&S and is it all it claims to be.
Did they impose any special conditions or come up with any small print get out clauses etc
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I can't comment on bike claims but they were very, very good over a storm damaged fence claim.
    Most insurers don't do storm damage. Act of God and all that phoney excuse...
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • upstart
    upstart Posts: 18
    my sons bike was stolen from outside of a friends house about a year ago. he was riding its replacement in less than two weeks. m & s were spot on.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I had nearly £10k worth stolen in 2010 and other than being a bit slow paying out, but I think that was dealing with Wheelies because all my bikes were custom builds they were fine. They did however reduce my level of cover when we came to renew from £4k per bike down to £1.5k. They've since reduced their cover to £1.5k per bike for new customers anyway so I'm also on the look out for a better deal.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Thanks for all the info.

Think I'll go with M&S as they sound pretty decent. Hopefully I won't need to use them of course and I'm also not lucky enough to own anything above £1500 (the CAAD is probably close though) so that shouldn't be an issue :( Maybe in the future when I'm rich :lol:

Must admit I didn't notice any limits whilst I was getting a quote online.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Tesco's Finest, up to £2000 on bikes. Very good experience replacing wife's crashed bike this year. :wink:
  • fire_dog
    fire_dog Posts: 1
    Mike67 wrote:
    It's that time of year again to renew my home insurance :(
    Magically my current insurer has managed to raise the cost just enough to cancel out my no claims discount...funny that :D

So I'm currently doing the usual trawl around for a better deal and M&S seems pretty good.

It has individual cover for named bikes over £1000 both in and away from the home (accidental damage is covered too).

Has anyone had the misfortune to claim on their bike/s through M&S and is it all it claims to be.
    Did they impose any special conditions or come up with any small print get out clauses etc

Mike, and it was raised just enough to eliminate your eligibility to the discount huh? I am currently with Liberty and been with them awhile knock on wood haven't had any problems so far regarding my home Insurance.