Anyone know of any good outside interesting jobs?

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
Ok, so I'm thinking.

In the Manchester area or greater Manchester or even into Cheshire, anyone know of any jobs that involve being outside getting out and about in interesting jobs that one who has left university could possibly get into?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    For those of a certain age..........

Why can't I help thinking of Boys From The Blackstuff? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Gizza job :lol:

Being one of those people who paints themselves gold and stands around pretending to be a statue has always looked interesting.

Seriously though, if I could afford to take a pay cut I would quite like to be a countryside warden for a National Park or something along those lines. Out wandering the countryside checking on work gangs and inspecting paths.
  • daviesee
    "You look like me." :lol:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Many moons ago when the job market was similar, a mate started work at a golf course, became a green keeper and then got into course design which opens doors all over the world.
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    How about becoming a cycle instructor (NSI = National Standards Instructor).

You'll need to find an ITO (Independent Training Organisation, eg: www.cycleexperience.com, but they are only one of around 18 ITOs.

ITO's can also find you work but you tend to be self employed with them.

Good fun, You're outside. You're on yer bike!
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    A few more criteria would be helpful:

Career progression
    Qualifications required / qualifications you have
    Likely Wages / Salary
    % of time outside (like do you want to be doing whatever it is in the depths of winter)
    Where the jobs is on the Physical / Mental scale
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Armed Forces Reserves

Can then look for any type of fulltime job to compliment it then :)
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    rebs wrote:
    Armed Forces Reserves

Travel to interesting countries, visit interesting places, meet interesting people, then blow them all to smithereens :D:D (unless they get you first that is :(:(:( )
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    natrix wrote:
    rebs wrote:
    Armed Forces Reserves
    quote]

As discussed previously, he wouldn't last five minutes, so I'll save his and the MOD's time.

Nah- not for you.

As above: outdoor jobs are great when the eather is great, but pity the poor gardener/scaffolder/surveyor/etc its freezing cold, hissing down and not very nice.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Big Issue operative
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • daviesee wrote:

You think he should try bricklaying?
  • Pross
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Big Issue operative

I hear you can even live and sleep in the great outdoors if you do that job :lol:
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:

You think he should try bricklaying?
    Or painting lines on pitches. Both outdoors jobs. :wink:
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Construction industry - range from general labourer to site manager, and training to get there, depending on your skills / qualifications.

Grim in the winter though!
  • jmcc500
    jmcc500 Posts: 33
    Traffic Warden. Why have you given up on that one? Free uniform, free camera, pens, notebooks etc etc...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pro Cyclist?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pro Cyclist?

He could get Bhima to coach him, he'll be pro in no time!
  • willhub
    jmcc500 wrote:
    Traffic Warden. Why have you given up on that one? Free uniform, free camera, pens, notebooks etc etc...

Because it was harder to contact them than it would be to email a brick wall and get a reply back.

Their emails were firewalled, no way to contact them, phone numbers useless.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I said it in the other thread but look out for local marquee firms. They should be screaming for extra guys at this time of the year. I've just clocked up 43 hours in the past three days - it's hectic. I've never been or felt fitter after a couple of months putting up tents. You'll have incredible core strength by the end of the summer too. Proper good laugh working with 30 blokes from all walks of life, from students and posh boys to ex-crack addicts and no hopers.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I've also lost 8lbs of body fat in the last 3 weeks yet i'm stronger than i've ever been in every physical department. What's not to like?
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    Archaeology ? Wildlife sanctuary ? Forestry commission ?Nature reserve ?, English Heritage coastline work,lighthouse keeper ,volunteer Whale / rare bird watcher Beach bum ? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ski seasonnaire?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Diamond jubilee programme seller.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Reidy36
    Reidy36 Posts: 25
    Are you good speaking to people?

Can you say with a smile "would you like fries with that"

why not do volunteer work?
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Knew of a fella who quit an IT job and became a tree surgeon. He had no regrets. It's a job I wouldn't mind doing myself, but not on a day like today.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    peanut wrote:
    Archaeology ? quote]

You have to be intelligent and have common sense to be one of them, so that rules him out ......
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    midnight-cowboy-02.jpg
  • willhub
    Yossie wrote:
    peanut wrote:
    Archaeology ? quote]

You have to be intelligent and have common sense to be one of them, so that rules him out ......

You need to stop saying things about people when you don't know them.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    To be honest, you do set yourself up for it sometimes. Nothings going to come to you and a half arsed post on a bike forum is making you look lazy and foolish. Sorry, but that's how I see it. I don't know so could well be wrong.

Anyways, why don't you make a list of the sort of things you think would interest you, then go from there. I'm assuming you might be looking at this from a possible career perspective.

If not, and it's just casual work in the summer you want and some readies in your pocket, there's loads available. Some suggestions to fit both possibilities:

Fruit/Veg picking
    Gardening (gardeners labourer)
    Fencing (again as a labourer)
    Music Festival staff
    Forest warden (could be done on a bike too)

You won't hit the top of any job/profession unless you're happy to earn poor money to start with, listen and learn from those whove done it for a while and be prepared to take a bit of ribbing as the new/young guy on the firm.

Good luck.