First Race As A Vet Tonight

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,479
edited July 2012 in Amateur race
At Stourport. First race at all in over a year, feeling old and also nervous which is odd considering the amount of races I've done over the years. I suspect this is down to having only done 2 bunch races since I got back into cycling and I've been dropped like a dog early on in both. Hopefully I can cling on for the first few laps and I should settle in OK then - I've never raced there before but I understand it's a tight circuit with lots of sprints out of corners.

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Let us know how you got on Pross. You will have been up against some of my clubmates - a few of them seem to be really enjoying Tuesday evenings down at Stourport.

Ruth
  • Pross
    I'm a bit annoyed with myself as I did exactly what I was determined not to do, allowed myself to be bullied out on the first corner and then spent about 10 laps sprinting out of each hairpin but having no real problems staying in the group of 20 odd riders. Managed to go past the few riders that got dropped early before messing up a corner and leaving myself a big gap to close on the one occassion the group went hard up the 'hill' for a bit longer to reel in a lone break, couldn't quite make it back and had that frustration of a group just too far in front but only going slightly quicker than me. After a few laps solo riding hard I eased up and waited to get lapped which happened with 10 minutes plus 5 laps to go and managed to easily sit in at the back until 3 laps to go where I thought they were starting to race so sat up to make sure I didn't get in anyone's way but they eased up just afterwards and I feel I could have easily stayed in until the final sprint. There were only about 12 - 14 riders in the bunch at the end so I would have been about 13th - 15th, really missed a chance to get my first ever points :(

Ruth, there were one or two Beacon riders in my race. One was doing pretty much the same as me, dangling on the back and having to sprint after each hairpin but managed to stay there until just after I was lapped. It was my first time racing there and my first time riding on a cycle specific track. It is an excellent facility, my only slight gripes are that the hairpins are possibly a bit too tight and maybe they should have started at the bottom of the hill on the finish straight to give it chance to string out a bit before reaching the first bend - 20 odd 4th cat riders going into a 180 degree bend 4 abreast was a bit nerve wracking (although to be fair the riding was generally very sensible, I only saw 1 rider undertake going into a bend).
  • BeaconRuth
    One of my clubmates got the final points he needed to move up to 3rd-cat and another opened his account with 5 points for a 5th place. They've been racing there most weeks and I think it's a case of dogged persistence brings experience of the circuit and the corners and gets you used to the type of fitness needed. I think I'm right in saying that both of them have been blown out the back some weeks, when stronger riders have turned up.

I guess the problem for you is that it's a long way to travel to race every week.

Ruth
  • Pross
    Yes, it's not so much the distance but that I can't get there for a 7pm start. Some of the other races only have 3/4 so I chose this one as it was 4th only. I really like the circuit, it feels more like a traditional town centre crit because it's so tight - I hate racing on motor circuits which is a shame as about 75% of the racing in South Wales is at Llandow! I've been trying to find a flat 3/4 road race in either the South West, Wales or Midlands and there is next to nothing. There is a 4th only road race at Brentor which I want to do but clashes with the Welsh 12 hour that I've set as a target.
  • BeaconRuth
    Have you looked at the LVRC events? They have quite a lot of events in the Midlands and several seem to be run around Malvern and west of Worcester. There's an early-season flat LVRC race at Pinvin - perhaps one to aim for next season? You would need to be sharp with an entry though as it's very popular. There are also LVRC races at Stourport. You might want to drop down an age category in the LVRC though as the As and Bs are usually better than your average 3rds/4ths.

Ruth
  • Pross
    I'm not 40 until November so can't ride LVRC yet - quite looking forward to them next year though!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pross wrote:
    I'm not 40 until November so can't ride LVRC yet - quite looking forward to them next year though!
    They wont beany slower, in fact they will be fster than a 4th cat race f sure, eve fater than 3/4 if youenter 40 age group. With the lvrc you will be allowed to ride iin 50+age group theres a few do this.
    You should ride more at llandow 3/4 an masters, lo you should goto vt track sessions this will help.
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    How about Mallory park in Leicester on Thursdays Cat4? Or Milton Keynes bowl also on Thursdays?
  • Pross
    OWM, can't make the vets track sessions as I don't finish work in time. I hate racing at Llandow but might get forced to at this rate. I'll be riding the vets RR champs though, just waiting for confirmation of the date as it's not on the BC site.

Alex, Mallory and MK are too far for me as I live in S Wales.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    i will do the masters RR also once date out, I am doing the crit at rhyl also and the bcf masters weekend after next, this weekend is lvrc track at newport you should have had a go.