Turbo trainer advice

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
I have just bought a new turbo to replace my old battered one.

It has arrived and I have set up but it seems to operate diferently from my other trainer. My previous trainer was fixed and you movedd the roller up towards the wheel. this one is an elite trainer and it appears to fit the bike in and just lean it back against the roller but it's not fixed. What is to stop the bike coming away from the roller when doing intense intervals in or out of the saddle?

Am I just being stupid? If I am please just tell me.

I am just not convinced the bike will stay in contact with the roller throughout the session.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    What is to stop the bike coming away from the roller when doing intense intervals in or out of the saddle?
    Your weight.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    I don't have any knowledge of the Elite, i have the Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro, and that to has a lever that you pull up to push the roller against the tyre.

If it is just weight that keeps it in contact, i can see your concern regarding intervals out of the saddle, because you only have to think what its like when the road is wet and you're climbing a steep hill out of the saddle with your weight over the front end, i've had the back wheel spin due to lack of weight on the rear end....similar thing i suppose.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Soni wrote:
    you only have to think what its like when the road is wet and you're climbing a steep hill out of the saddle with your weight over the front end, i've had the back wheel spin due to lack of weight on the rear end....similar thing i suppose.

Errr, no. For a start, the turbo trainer's roller isn't wet, and you don't have to put your weight over the front end when riding a turbo on flat ground. It's completely different.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Herbsman wrote:
    Soni wrote:
    you only have to think what its like when the road is wet and you're climbing a steep hill out of the saddle with your weight over the front end, i've had the back wheel spin due to lack of weight on the rear end....similar thing i suppose.

Errr, no. For a start, the turbo trainer's roller isn't wet, and you don't have to put your weight over the front end when riding a turbo on flat ground. It's completely different.

Errr, I realise the roller isn't wet doh, but your saying weight stops the tire slipping on the roller, if your siting on the saddle then most of the weight will be on the back end, but when your out of the saddle, even if your not over the front end, there won't be as much weight over the rear, so therefore I can understand the op concern.

I'm sure it will be fine, it wouldn't have got to market if it didn't work.