Routes in Hampshire

Hidden Hippo
Hidden Hippo Posts: 79
edited June 2012 in Routes
Hi everyone,

I'm just starting to cycle for a bit more than commuting but am struggling to find routes. I've just bought a new bike and need to go and get it muddy soon. I'd say my range is probably 10-15 miles in total, and no car, so this limits somewhat how far I can go.

Does anyone know of some light off road routes in North-East Hampshire, Fleet to be precise?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    your in good territory there, if needing to stray a little. Theres trails on the SW edge of Farnborough by the airport (2miles from you?),trails in hawley/minley, as well as great trails over in Tunnel/Pitch hill (about 4 miles each way from you) - start at the canal center in mytchett.

Also worth popping over to Crowthorne/Bracknell and hitting Swinley for a play. You can do it by train if your feeling lazy, but its only about 8 miles to your nearest entrance. worth it for a day trip.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Whereabouts do the routes in Hawley/Farnborough/Pitch Hill start? I can find the ones in Southwood (Cody Technology Park etc.) without trouble (I think), but not work out where the others start.
  • benpinnick
    For Tunnel Hill, closest entry point is probably here: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.286266 ... 1&t=m&z=15 - The trails are right across Tunnel, Frith and Old Windmill hill. Miles of trails to explore. Also see if you can hook up with the tunnel hill trolls for a ride.

For Hawley/Minley, I would start here http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.305211 ... 1&t=m&z=15 (for hawley) and maybe here for Minley http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.304084 ... 1&t=m&z=14 - You can link Minley to Yately heath and common and Hawley very easily.

There is an old racetrack here too http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.339299 ... 1&t=m&z=14 - probably still got some good trails.

openstreetmap.org shows the trails better, although its hard to tell whats singletrack versus big trails. But where you see lots of trails, you can be fairly sure some will be sweet singletrack!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Also, worth contemplating riding to F'boro north (go from fleet and change at f'boro main if your feeling lazy) and then catching a train to Crowthorne (12 mins). from Crowthorne station its about 1.5 miles into Swinley. You can also find you way into swinley from Camberley station too without too much hassle. Just head downs kings ride and keep going at the end.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Oh, and also, without a car, the same line from f'boro north (or North Camp) but heading south will take you to Gomshall in about 40 minutes, which is well worth a look! Its just north of the Surrey Hills trails.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks again for all the advice - loads to take in. Which trails would you say are easiest/hardest? I don't want to make my way there only to find I can't ride it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    None of the trails are actually marked so it's a bit hard to find your way around without someone who knows the areas.
    So you'll probably spend most of your time on fireroads - just head off down bits of singletrack and explore.
    Not much of it is particularly technical or hard, plus you just take it at a comfortable pace.
    I would recommend Swinley as a start - plenty of fun stuff, fairly compact, and fairly busy so plenty of people to ask for directions, or call 999 for you if you do stack it.
    We ride Swinley and SH (and other bits) regularly, you're welcome to come along. Have a look in London Calling in Rides.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    edited July 2012
    None of them Re really 'hard' per se although tunnel hill is defo the most adventurous. Try minley/Hawley to start and work from there I reckon. Just keep your eyes open for trails diving into the forest and head off down the likely looking ones.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I think Southwood near Cody Tech Park is probably going to be the first. Probably not the best but my first free weekend is in 2 weeks, and I'll have a chance to go explore for the afternoon.