GT XCR 09 chain guide fitting

AlanLedson
AlanLedson Posts: 12
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm looking at fitting a MRP mini chain guide due tome converting to 1x9. I haven't purchased the guide yet as I just wanted to voice it off a few folk with experience in these things. I have had a look at the BB and noticed a there is a washer between the bearing housing and the lock nut if this were removed it would provide space for the chain guide. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
  • AlanLedson
    Yer sorry, not explained very well. I'm just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has fitted one of these guides to an I drive and if there is any problems in setting up etc.
  • Greer_
    I take it the spacer is on the drive side and you don't have any ISCG 05 tabs?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What BB/crankset is it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • AlanLedson
    Hi yes the spacer is on the drive side,andi think it's a shimano BB, it's standard for theGT.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so are you wanting to know how to fit it or what is is like?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    AlanLedson wrote:
    Yer sorry, not explained very well. I'm just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has fitted one of these guides to an I drive and if there is any problems in setting up etc.
    AlanLedson wrote:
    Hi yes the spacer is on the drive side,andi think it's a shimano BB, it's standard for theGT.

GT I drive - I've heard of it, but not sure what it is, a quick google makes it look like its hollowtech related? Not sure though :lol:
  • AlanLedson
    Yes, to fit should I remove the crank, BB lock nut drive side, remove spacer/ washer, fit guide, refit lock nut and then fit crank, check chain length and setup gears? Am I missing anything.
  • cooldad
    That doesn't sound like HTII to me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Greer_
    cooldad wrote:

Nope it doesn't now! :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Greer_ wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Huh?
  • cooldad
    Greer_ wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Huh?
    For the slow and otherwise afflicted, it sounded like he wanted to replace the drive side spacer with a BB mounted chain device, so assumed HTII, but as these don't have a drive side lock nut (or indeed any lock nuts as such) one may now assume that it is not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ah, I appear to end up on the wrong thread! Makes even less sense from my perspective!
  • AlanLedson
    Many thanks for all your advice, I think i'll try it out, and see if it fits and runs ok, im getting the feeling theres not many people experienced in GT i-drive systems, so I think it will be a 'suck it and see'!
  • nicklouse
    AlanLedson wrote:
    Many thanks for all your advice, I think i'll try it out, and see if it fits and runs ok, im getting the feeling theres not many people experienced in GT i-drive systems, so I think it will be a 'suck it and see'!
    there is plenty. but you are not giving the required info.

if you dont know what you have post up a picture.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The I-drive doesn't change the afact it has a regular BB shell from my memeory of looking at them.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    AlanLedson wrote:
    It's not an iDrive system, it will be, most likely, a Shimano or Sram BB and crankset. But without knowing which it's impossible to comment.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    Ok the BB with is 73mm.
    now we need to guess what cranks wer fitted?
    from this info
    I have had a look at the BB and noticed a there is a washer between the bearing housing and the lock nut
    no BB that i have everfitted to an MTB. there may have been a shopping bike with a one piece crank that had a lock ring on the drive side but that would not have fitted a MTB.

if you have a shimano BB and crankset. No probs.

anything else could be a problem. But no external BB set up has a Drive side spacer on a 73mm BB

so who knows.

if you want the correct info post up clear pictures. or just read parktools.
  • AlanLedson
    Thanks for your advice, I don't mean to offend anybody I know you guys know what ur talking about but as you may have guessed I'm a little out of touch with the technical jargon. I think the best thing for me to do is upload a couple of pics. I think I was jus hoping someone out there might of already fitted one of these guides to my type of bike and could enlighten me!
  • nicklouse
    It does not matter is some one has or not. There is less than a 50/50 chance they had the same set up.

And what you have now may not be suitable. Things are never simple.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Socretes once said:
    If you don't know the jargon, don't just make it up. It's less than useful, and confuses those who know.

He was a wise little grasshopper.
  • The Rookie
    I've seen 2 bikes with 73mm width ISIS BB (one was a GT) where the method of tightening was a C-spanner on what looks like a locknut (it's not as its part of the end of the BB just like the shimano tool goes into the end of a square taper Shimano BB)....maybe that is what the OP is seeing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    Some Isis and octalink BBs have both internal and external splines. And then there is the rubber ring on some Isis.
  • The Rookie
    These ones aren't splines, they look just like the locknut ring on cup and cone square taper BB's.
  • AlanLedson
    Sorry for the delay in getting my pics uploaded my iCloud is playin up proper!!!! I've had a good look at the drive side locknut and it does seem to be an external splined ring nut and then behind that is what looks like a spacer ring approximately 3mm thick and then the bearing. I'll try and get the pics up tonight .