Road Bars to Flat Bars ... Will this Work?

Asif Tufal
Asif Tufal Posts: 109
edited July 2012 in Workshop
I'm thinking of "bastardising" my 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport as I find drop bars uncomfortable at times. I just want to double-check that the following components will be suitable for my proposed conversion:

Shimano R550 Brake Levers: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34695

Shimano Deore M590 9-speed Trigger Shifter: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40547

FSA V-Drive Handelbar: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=77560

Getting the correct size handelbar is what I'm most unsure of. Bike specs are here: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/secteur-sport-2011-road-bike-ec025005#features

Please advise.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you may have issues with those shifters with the front mech.

bars will be fine. 31.8mm

not sure how the brake levers will feel or work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I use flat bar levers on my hybrid with road bike calipers and they are fine. They do require more of a pull than regular drop bar levers but perfectly manageable. Same as the ones you posted.
  • Asif Tufal
    Thanks chaps. I read the reviews of the items and someone had successfully used the shifters and levers on road/hybrid bikes but I wanted to double-check.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    I've just done the same conversion on a Scott S50 for a friend and it certainly has some unexpected problems but I think I've got there in the end.

I used a FSA XC-190 stem 25.4mm £5.00 from CRC
    FSA XC-270 Semi riser bar 600mm £5.00 from CRC
    EV173755-NA-SVR shimano R550 brake levers for flat bars £15.00 from CRC
    and a used Sram 9 spd twist grip gear shifts from our very own Dicey007

I'm using the existing road bike Shimano 105 cantilever brake calipers and 105 rear mech (short cage) with existing Shimano 105 front mech and 105 chainset 130 BCD with new 48t and 38t chainrings. ( the smallest possible)

Using the existing 9 speed 12-27 Shimano 105 cassette which will give approx 36" at the low end and 105" high which is ample for predominantly road and cycle track use.

I had considered fitting a 11-32t cassette but that would only have given a further 3-5" or so at the bottom end and It also would have required a new rear mech and chain and I wanted to reuse existing components where possible.

Biggest problem was ensuring the stem had the right reach and angle and had the correct dia for the bars I was using.
  • paul_mck
    did the sram shifters work ok with the 105 rear mech then?

here is a pic of mine.

IMAG0087.jpg
  • peanut
    paul_mck wrote:
    did the sram shifters work ok with the 105 rear mech then?

Ahh the 64 million dollar question to which I haven't an answer yet. :D

I cannot see why they should not but if they have a different pull per click then I'll have to use a cheapo Sram MTB rear mech which I got used from dicey007 last week.

Very nice looking bike by the way ,
    I'm kinda thinking about building a flatbar bike for myself if this one feels comfortable.
  • Asif Tufal
    As an alternative, would my existing combined gear shifters/brake levers work with low profile or "bullhorn" bars? I was thinking of something like the Cinelli Lola: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Handlebars-TT-Lo-Pro-Oversize/HBAQ
  • peanut
    yes I should think it would work fine . They will certainly fit its just a question of how comfortable and ergonomic they would be.
    I like the idea of bull horns myself so when I build myself a flatbar bike I might try your suggestion.
  • nicklouse
    Sram numbered shifters will not work with shimano rear mechs. Sram named shifters will work with shimano rear mechs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • peanut
    nicklouse wrote:
    Sram numbered shifters will not work with shimano rear mechs. Sram named shifters will work with shimano rear mechs.

that makes perfect sense Nick ! :D

i had to read that 3x times to see the difference lol. Could you please explain the difference between 'numbered' and 'named' for me. :roll:

The twistgrip shifters i am using just have Sram 9 written on them, they have a visual gear selected display . Fortunatel I purchased the matching rear mech with them so I can use that.

The biggest problem I face at the moment is sourcing a suitable front mech to use on a road frame with a Shimano 105 db chainset (130 bcd) . The MTB f mech I ordered won't fit between the seat post and tyre. :shock:

Does the twistgrip pull the same amount of cable as a road STI ? can I use a road front mech ? if not what type of mech will fit a road frame?

thanks for you input , much appreciated
  • paul_mck
    I use a shimano 105 front mech with my SRAM X0 shifters. Also works with X5 shifter currently fitted.

I still have an old front mech (suntour i think) you can have for a fiver it came with my bike and X5 shifters. Worked well enough
  • nicklouse
    numbered. X0 X9
    X4 etc or older 9sl 7sl

named Attack,TRX,Centera,MRX,Rocket.......................

front mechs are generally cross compatible with varied success with road to MTB cross use
  • peanut
    thanks Nick. I know exactly zilch about MTB . These twist grips just have Sram9 on them and no other identifying marks. They are bound to work with the matching rear mech though thank god.

I'll order up a 31.4 band and try using one of my road fr mechs.cheers