Triple or Compact for a noob

kojomojo
kojomojo Posts: 12
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Right so after years of being annoyed at how long it takes to get places on foot (even to the point that I was riding a micro-scooter to and from places, which must of been one hell of a sight considering I'm 6'3 and 230lbs) I've decided to buy a road bike, previously I have only had mountain bikes and one incident with a road bike (no back brake, and an immediate stop means only one thing)..

After months of deliberation I've decided the Giant Defy (2011) is the bike for me, now my real dilemma is whether to get a compact or a triple, I live in famously hilly Sheffield, however I am a student in Nottingham (so spend most of my year there, however I spend the summer months in Sheffield) I think the difference between the two is about 20 quid, i cant remember rightly and the site (ashcycles) is down for maintenance

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Living in a hilly area like Sheffield then make life easy for when you are home and get the triple. Just because you have three chainrings at the front doesn't mean you are obliged to use them and you'll most likely find that the majority of your cycling will be in the big ring with some middle ring action as required. Useful having the extra range of the small ring for those times you find yourself heading up past the hospital toward Snake Pass :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're coming from a background of little cycling and wanting to use the bike to gain fitness then the triple will make life easier on those long hills
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cmt
    cmt Posts: 65
    Coming from a mountain bike myself, the compact was a bit of a shock (i live in Saddleworth so every which way is a hill!)

However after a month i can tackle them with a compact and very, very rarely miss the triple.

As my workmate would say "Just Dig In"!
  • kojomojo
    kojomojo Posts: 12
    ALaPlage wrote:
    Useful having the extra range of the small ring for those times you find yourself heading up past the hospital toward Snake Pass :D
    Haha I'll be doing exactly that!!
    Cheers guys I've gone for the Triple, cheers for the help! :mrgreen: