Shoes for flat pedals?!?

Hels147
Hels147 Posts: 15
edited October 2012 in Women
Hi
I've got DMR v8 flat pedals and up till now I've just been wearing some old trainers, but the soles are shredded and I'm looking to buy some new shoes. Most of my riding to date has been round Cannock, but I'm now looking at other trail centres and my mates have also almost persuaded me to enter my first race!
Just wondering what shoes people wear to ride in and does anyone have any recommendations, or thoughts as to what I should be looking for?
Having a quick neb online, it looks like men's shoes don't go small enough, so I'll probably have to go for female shoes!
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5:10s if you can get some your size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hey...
    I like you ride with DMR v8 flats and until last week a pair skate shoes from TKMax. I purchased a pair of 5:10 women’s Karvers and I must say they are fantastic. Took them for their first ride up Cwmcarn around the Twrch on Monday and (with a bit of coaxing from my mate) also even gave a section of the downhill a bash. No slips off the pedals, plenty of protection around the ankle and they feel comfortable. Hope this helps!
  • 5:10s are popular for sure.

Skate shoes maybe aren't as good but you can sometimes get them in the likes of sportsDirect outlets for under £20 a pair.
  • victoriac
    victoriac Posts: 56
    I got a pair of last seasons Specialized BG Tahoe Womens on offer, which I've found really good. They've got the option for cleats but they are good without. Easy to walk in with decent tread so if I have to get off and climb over anything I'm not worried about slipping.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    5.10S

Or if your more cash tight some Vans that are on offer
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    I've used a pair of Shimano AM41's for the last 3 years which are perfect.
    Recently bought a pair of 5.10's (Freeride) Which have better soles (mainly because the Shimano's are a bit trashed), but they are a bit wide and soft so I'm still getting used to them - sometimes they feel fine, sometimes not so much. I think I'll go half a size down if I need to replace them in the future.

I will definitely be buying a new pair of the Shimano's though..
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I've got a pair of 510 women's Karvers, fantastic shoes. I did have some cheaper skate shoes initially, but they fell to bits quite quickly and weren't as grippy. The Karvers have lasted me for three years now (I think?), and have been through the washing machine a fair few times. They're still pretty waterproof, and survived Mountain Mayhem! :D
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have small feet for a chap and have a pair of 510 Karvers I just got - to be honest on my xc bike they are a bit too grippy, the crappier pedals on my DH bike mean they are tolerable. They'd probably be good with V8's....

I used to ride with DC's which worked pretty well on my xc bike, bit loose on the DH. If you go with skate shoes you need a really decent pedal. Otherwise a few people I know have TEVA shoes which they are liking, good compromise between the skate and the 510, little bit of float but planted when you need them to be.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • hoots
    hoots Posts: 134
    Both myself and OH use 5.10's (Impact Lo's and Barons) and Shimano AM41's. We both find the 5.10's are better for really techy rocky and/or rooty rides where we want our feet to feel really stuck to the pedals. However, for more 'normal' XC natural trails and for longer rides, we find that the AM41's comfier, as they allow you to reposition feet easier - as long as your footwork is reasonably good, the AM41's are still plenty grippy enough for most red graded UK trail centre routes.

Oh, the AM41's are a bit less clumpy than the 5.10 Impact lo's aswell.

HTH
  • hoots
    hoots Posts: 134
    p.s. Forgot to mention - if you're on a hardtail, I think the 5.10 Impacts and Karvers have a bit more cushioning underfoot than AM41's or Barons, so they give more cush for your knees when standing on the pedals through rough stuff.
  • Another vote for the 5.10 women's karvers. I was a bit taken back when I saw how bulky they looked on my feet but having seen some shots of me riding they don't look bad on compared to how they look from up above! I had the same problem that my nukeproof pedals had shredded the shoes I was using and my feet weren't sticking well. the 5.10s are very sticky, maybe sometimes too sticky as I've had to ride sections with my foot badly positioned until I can lift it and re-position.... but on the plus side, no pin holes in my legs since I swapped onto the karvers. woo hoo.
  • Another vote for 5:10s!
    Love them!
    5:10 Freeriders for the freeride park, bmx track, XC rides etc. and a pair of 5:10 Impact Low for DH and winter riding!
    Come Chat to us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BikeRadar
    Or
    Give us a Tweet https://twitter.com/#!/bikeradar
    Or even...
    Join our Google+ Circle https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/114648719698063638202/
  • Hels147
    Hels147 Posts: 15
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I've done a lot more riding over the summer (the trainers lasted till now, but don't think they'll cope with another trip through the washing machine) and in addition to all your comments above, I have a better idea of what I need to look out for. A really important one is for stiff enough soles/cushioning! It is a hardtail I'm riding and I've been getting some serious foot ache from the pedals and the soft trainers!! Silly me hadn't even considered that when I first posted. Live and learn! :D
    Next step is to do some google searches for stockists and try me some of the suggestions above! You never know, I might be lucky and find a sale.....lol!
    Hels
  • 5:10 Womens Karvers, you'll find it difficult to match their brilliance. The sole cushioning is fantastic. Mines have been thoroughly punished and they just get better every time I wear them. BTW I don't work for 5:10!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    And depending on the size of your feet... pedals with a bigger platform than the V8s. MG1s, Superstar Nanos, or the Carbon Exotic version of the Nanos (which are cheaper). My vote for shoes is Shimano AM41... I was out in the rain for 2 hours tonight but at least my shoes did not get soggy and heavy. But then the 5:10s I tried just were not comfortable - so get whatever fits your feet!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • glamor
    glamor Posts: 4
    Alright then, all the above participants perform well and expose their ideas awesomely.
    This is exactly one and only which I was looking for, so its my pleasure to have this.

cheap car rentals gold coast