What Should A "Raw" Finish Look Like?

leaflite
leaflite Posts: 1,651
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just taken delivery of a new Canyon 8.0w in Raw finish(not for me :D)
In certain places, especially on the downtube, there are large, obvious marks where it looks like the frame has been brushed in the opposite direction to the rest, or where a coarser(sp?) grade of brush/sandpaper has been used. Is this normal for a raw finish, or is the frame faulty?

Pic:
p1010327n.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Raw varies a lot - sometimes is a polished finish, sometimes an oxidised finish, and sometimes just like yours!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    could be worth asking on this thread viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12789920&hilit=canyon&start=320 if anyone has experience with the raw finnish on canyons
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Raw can be tricky. To some people it simply means unpainted but in the case of a quality frame it's a thing of beauty to see proppa welds and tubes that actually fit together instead of being bodged with braze or sanded down. I once had some laquered steel bmx bars and forks and the bluing around the welded joints was just fabulous.

Personally I wouldn't be happy with the finish on your bike.
  • mountaingoatimnot
    mountaingoatimnot Posts: 185
    edited June 2012
    The finish in that picture would put me of buying any Canyon, in any finish - looks decidedly ropey !

For a £2k i'd expect better than that - you could always approach a local polisher (check yell.com) to improve it to anything from brushed to highly polished.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and to me it just looks like a raw finish.

Raw can mean many things. like the above or like ablve and then with a clearcoat on top.............

I would say you have what was advertised but not what you thought you were going to get.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I agree with nick.
    Also, the finish is better this way, than polished (yuk) IMO...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • "Raw" can differ frame to frame, as SuperSonic suggested,
    I noticed you stated it is not for you, so I sympathise with your predicament

I can only suggest that if your friend/client is not happy that you look for some of the better painters out there
    modern paints and materials can be tricky to get an even professional finish
    Current Ride : Santa Cruz v10
    Dream Ride : Honda RN 01
  • That's a raw finish as I'd understand it.