Chain break

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited June 2012 in The workshop
Found a broken inner link on my Sram 1090R chain last night, not sure how long it'd been like that :oops: I didn't have a powerlink so I used my chaintool to remove an inner/outer pair and reattached by resettling the pin. The chain is now a pair of links shorter, and is quite tight on the big/big (yes, I know not to ride this combi)

Can I get a spare pair of links to get the chain back up to normal length? I measured it and it's not that worn. Powerlinks only seem to be a couple of outer links so even if I'd used one I'd still have a shorter chain.

If I continue to use the chain should I try to find the pin I popped/reset and replace with a powerlink? I understand the pins aren't meant to be reused and are significantly weaker if reset.

Should I just buy a new chain? :cry:
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Depending on the mileage, you might need to buy a new cassette as well as a new chain. A brand new chain on a worn cassette is quite likely to jump. Best case scenario, a new chain will wear out faster on a worn cassette.

A load of people will probably jump in and disagree with this. But I normally run a chain and cassette until a chain wear indicator measures the chain stretch at 1.0mm per 100mm and then I replace the chain and cassette together.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Assuming the chain isn't too bad I'd just splice in an offcut of a previous chain with a pair of powerlinks.

At AndyOgy. Yes - lots of people will disagree with you. Chains wear faster than cassettes. Most reckon on three chains per cassette so you everytime you change your chain you are wasting twice the cost of a cassette!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keyser__soze
    Thanks Rolf. As I don't have any spare links I'll probably buy a new chain and use the spare links from that one to bring the existing one back up to length then alternate between the two every couple of months. Shame that the SRAM 10spd powerlinks aren't reusable.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So buy a KMC which is better and has reusable links.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keyser__soze
    Existing chain is a SRAM, and I don't think KMC quicklinks are the right size tho if anyone is using them with a SRAM chain successfully let me know!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Existing chain is a SRAM, and I don't think KMC quicklinks are the right size tho if anyone is using them with a SRAM chain successfully let me know!

Chain links are generally interchangeable (as long as the width of the chain is the same), so you can use KMC links with SRAM, Shimano, Connex, Wipperman etc. etc. and vice versa as long as it's all 10-speed, 9-speed etc..
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    I made a chain out of three different used chains, if you always replace your chain/cassette and keep them then you could whack a couple of new links in there. It could hardly make it worse ;)