Chain De-greasing?

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

My chain is all dirty and clogged so want to clean it. Was just wondering what people do to de-grease theirs? I've been looking at all the Muc Off product and the like but wondered if there was anything else that might work?

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    The Muc Off stuff is good and there are various other degreasers.

For me, the best cheap option is a little chain cleaning device...filled with white spirit.

like this one... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001R4BR6E/ref=asc_df_B001R4BR6E8477436?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B001R4BR6E

Dry it off with a cloth afterwards and stick some lube on.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Chain cleaner with a Bio-degradable citrus degreaser (a couple of times). Then rinse it through the device with water a couple of times. Then dry with a rag and let air dry til it is completely dry. Then re-lube with your choice of product.

I have found 'Finish Line Ceramic Wax' the best (out of Finish Line Dry Lube, Wet Lube, Squirt and some other random makes I've bought locally) - this is obviously for the conditions I ride in...generally dry and dusty
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    As above but instead of chain cleaning gizmo I just use 40p nylon brush from local "all in one" shop. You can actually see which links need more attention, faster movement at different angles remove dirt better and after 3 minutes your chain and rear sprocket are like new.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I used and old jam jar full of white spirit, I have two chains, one soaks which the other is fitted, at some point I take it out and scrub with an old toothbrush, pop it back in then when its ready to fit I rinse in soapy water and dry it off.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Domestos bottle or similar, quarter fill with white spirit, place chain in bottle. Tighten down lid.
    Pretend to be shaking maracas for five minutes. Empty white spirit into a container to allow sediment and gunk to settle out for re-use. Repeat with fresh white spirit if required.
  • A crusty old finishline chain cleaning tool (from when i bought my old bike in '96 :shock: :lol:). Hot water with a dash of washing up liquid. Run this through a few times THEN a final rinse with just hot water. Dry then serve with a chainlube of your choice :roll: :lol:.

Thanks.
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    Use scotoiler as lube, water soluble do you need to lube every ride but you will have an immaculate chain and very limited wer
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    Chain Degreasing

Ohh no! :lol: learn to use the search function! Far too many arguments over this!!