Painting a spring

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
It's shallow I know but I'm idly thinking about repainting the spring on my bike's Van R.

I'm guessing the original finish is paint and not powdercoat in which case I would be happy to paint strip it and lacquer it. Has anyone done anything like this I'm guessing I'll need some kind of special paint that doesn't flake and fall off the first time I ride it.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most are powder coated.

if you are going to use paint find some flex plastic paint or it will come off faster than a fast thing.

find a local MC restorer and ask what they do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    nicklouse wrote:
    most are powder coated.
    Really? I thought powder coat was tough but brittle
    nicklouse wrote:
    if you are going to use paint find some flex plastic paint or it will come off faster than a fast thing.

If it's powder coated I'll need professional help :)
  • nicklouse
    .blitz wrote:
    I'll need professional help :)
    yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    .blitz wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    most are powder coated.
    Really? I thought powder coat was tough but brittle
    nicklouse wrote:

If it's powder coated I'll need professional help :)

Powder is brittle only in a impact and that depends on the actual type of powder, Polyester is very flexy, we powder arms for a well know sports shop and once the powder is cured you can bend the arm 180 back on its self with no peeling or flaking.

A lot is down to the prep of the component, can the spring be bead blasted or will that weaken it? (Nick)

What colour are you thinking, you got pm............
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    you powder... arms?
  • nicklouse
    1mancity2 wrote:
    A lot is down to the prep of the component, can the spring be bead blasted or will that weaken it? (Nick)

What colour are you thinking, you got pm............
    bead yes. shot ..... maybe. walnut sure.