Le Tour on tv, which to watch?

xscreamsuk
xscreamsuk Posts: 318
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Should I be tuning to Eurosport or ITV4 for the best commentary of the Tour? Have enjoyed the stuff I've watched on Eurosport so far, might tape the live stuff from Esport and the highlight thing from ITV4?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Eurosport commentary will be far better

ITV will have higher production values
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Eurosport has the better commentary, but once the stage is over it is worth switching over to ITV4 who are usually better for interviews and post-stage chit-chat.

ITV are best for evening highlights.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253

as long as you're prepared to put up with 20 mins of adverts within an hours program :evil:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    lemon63 wrote:

as long as you're prepared to put up with 20 mins of adverts within an hours program :evil:

They're still better.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    lemon63 wrote:

Rather the adverts than no Tour on terrestrial TV!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    lemon63 wrote:

The adverts are better as well. No boiled Sidis and Malaysia Truly Asia nonsense on ITV.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    lemon63 wrote:

Record the highlights and start watching at 20 past 7 instead of 7pm.

But I agree with the live = Eurosport, highlights = ITV4 consensus.

Worth mentioning the difference between British Eurosport and Eurosport HD, too. BES has lots of studio guff before and after the stage, while ES HD is a lot more "on location" with pre-stage interviews and chat with the riders.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Worth mentioning the difference between British Eurosport and Eurosport HD, too. BES has lots of studio guff before and after the stage, while ES HD is a lot more "on location" with pre-stage interviews and chat with the riders.

Oh - I thought it was only the picture quality that was different. I didn't realise the content differed too
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Hopefully no womens tennis to disrupt the scheduling on Eurosport.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    Should I be tuning to Eurosport or ITV4 for the best commentary of the Tour? Have enjoyed the stuff I've watched on Eurosport so far, might tape the live stuff from Esport and the highlight thing from ITV4?

Be careful taping anything off Eurosport via your Sky+ box, they're scheduling on the tv guide is notional at best so on occasion the recording will cut out before the stage has finished. I always record the programme afterwards to be safe (I'm now an aficionado on Hungarian Budgie racing :-) )
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    My Tivo actually says 'this is live do you want to extend the timing' and gives you several options.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    afx237vi wrote:
    Thank afx I've got HD now and will be happy to be spared all that 'this might happen or that mightn't' stuff in the studio. Of course it will mean missing Tony Gibb (sigh) but if it means more interviews and stuff then I can forgo that.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman