New front derailleur

richh
richh Posts: 187
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
I've been looking around and the ultegra braze-on (6700) appears to be the best value, but I've noticed that in almost all of the retailers they state "for use with 6700 shifters only" - I paraphrase.

You can see it here:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/transmission/derailleurs-front-road/shimano-ultegra-6700-front-derailleur-silver-braze-on.html

Now I'm assuming this is utter rubbish as all I've heard about Shimano in the past is that everything is compatible with everything else, and also as this text is used all over the place I'm assuming that it's from Shimano themselves who would of course want people to change shifters whilst they were at it!!

That said, can I please check with someone that this will be compatible with my 105 (5600) shifters, and that Shimano haven't done something strange to the pull ratio etc for the latest version of ultegra?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Mybe the key word is OPTIMUM and it will work with any Shimano shifter. That would be my guess. Key word being guess. Perhaps the Shimano website could be more specific.
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    That's what I thought as well, but I thought I'd better check.