Gear cable routing on headtube

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Recently came across a setup, with Campy gears etc, whereby the cabling ran to opposite side of headtube to levers on bars (ie rear mech cable RHS bars ran to left hand headtube stop), and then inner gear wires crossed over when below downtube to BB guides. rationale being that it gave a smoother arc of cable to headtube cable stops---which in theory it should.

Anyone else routing cables like this, and does it make a difference in slicker changing? Is it worth altering setup to, given adequate outer cable length already?

ta

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    A lot of bikes come set up like this. I doubt there's a noticeable difference between two well indexed bikes with different cable runs.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • JamesB
    A lot of bikes come set up like this

oh ! :o never seen it before ; suppose also it`s going to depend on shape downtube, ie if it`s strongly ovalised crossing wires wouldn`t work?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    works better less contact and bending of cables on the headtube. so less wear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Keeps the cables away from the headtube too and so minimises scuffing of the paint. If running a short stem and headtube, it's the only way to get it looking neat IMO, otherwise you get this weird, S-bend kink.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Most (all?) Spesh bikes are set up this way and run fine - mine is and I swapped it over once (uncrossed) for about a week the swapped it back as it was better as it was set by Spesh.
  • JamesB
    works better less contact and bending of cables on the headtube. so less wear.

unfortunately just tried rerouting cables but due to ovalised down tube (Lynskey R230) wire was rattling on downtube :(:( ---pity as liked idea of better cable run etc