I think i'm getting bored of MTB.

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited July 2012 in MTB general
This may sound like a post from a psychiatric clinic but please read on. :shock:

As i have been mountain biking for over a year now, i have got used to the speed and fun of it.

I now do not feel any adrenaline when i go round a corner too fast, hit a massive root or get my rear wheel sliding off a ledge. I kind of feel like there is no risk of cycling. :(

I am almost 15 and now i have to wait for all my other friends when we go mountain biking (trying not to brag) and its getting rather boring. Also i have seen all the sights now within a 10 kilometre radius of my house. :|

Is there any solutions to this or am i becoming a emotionless potato? :?

Thanks. :mrgreen:
My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Go to Fort William, go down the downhill course as fast as you can and report back.

That'll be £20 please
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Start riding downhill. As in proper downhill.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • MTB noob
    On a £300 bike and £120 in the bank right now? i think that's a bit of a larger task for a 14 year old
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    You've rode everything within 10 km? Well ride further, simple
  • MTB noob
    This is what i ride with:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Either train for something hard or wait until you crash to learn about pain and fear. MTB is a bit like riding a motorbike you don't really learn to respect it until its bitten you on the bum.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Set ya self a pb and try to beat it or wait a few years till you can drive and then go more than 10k or get on the train
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    If you say you feel there is no risk then I think you are just not pushing yourself enough.

Either save up and buy a better bike for downhill or just be a bit more adventurous.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    trains go to fort william btw and you can downhill on a ht it just might rattle a bit!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • cammer
    cammer Posts: 55
    Take a break from MTB. Give it a while and you'll soon be itching to get back out on the bike.

Or it may also depend on the terrain you are riding within 10km. Try and get an opportunity to ride somewhere else. Doesn't have to be a million miles away, but I find a change of scenery helps, and you'll also look forward to getting back to your local trails again.

I think we all go through these stages once in a while
  • MTB noob
    I am planning to go to Stanmer Park before my birthday with a mate so i can get a good MTB ride with "kid for a quid" on the train so that might get my pulse raising. Also good Practice for the Brighton Bog Dog's Little Dog. If not, ill ask my parents to get me a holiday to Fort William and see what happens next.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    MTB noob wrote:
    On a £300 bike and £120 in the bank right now? i think that's a bit of a larger task for a 14 year old
    I've seen people hit gnarly stuff on basic hardtails, it just requires skill. And you don't necessarily have to be riding fast. If you're bored of riding, step it up a notch. Or get involved in your local trail building scene.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • MTB noob
    Thanks for the tips - i've been looking at the wrong solutions.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah try trailbuilding. It's fun in itself and you wind up with something new to ride at the end.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    where are you from btw?

in a 10km radius of my house there's enough riding for me to probably ride a different trail every day for a month :? from full on DH to natural xc or even cwmcarn if i was to chuck a trail centre ride in.

it could just be that you've got used to where you ride and it's not a test anymore
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    MTB noob wrote:
    I am almost 15 and now i have to wait for all my other friends when we go mountain biking (trying not to brag) and its getting rather boring.

aw, diddums

seeing as you've been everywhere and know everything, let us know what the good bits were.
  • MTB noob
    I live in Worthing, West Sussex which is why i originally thought that going to Fort William would be a stupid idea because of the cost.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    What kind of stuff do you actually ride? It's hard to make a recommendation of more exciting stuff without knowing what to compare it too.

When I first got into riding I lived in london and used to ride places like hampstead heath which got boring really fast. Then I started getting the train to chicksands and aston hill (although aston was a little hard for me initially). What really got me into it was my parents dropping me off at a campsite near Coed Y Brenin for 2 weeks with no car, just tent, clothes and bikes. We got the bus to porthmadog every few days to wash clothes and stock up on food then just rode loads and loads of trails around CyB the whole time and it was absolutly ace. Maybe try something like that - put a bit of adventure into it
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    MTB noob wrote:
    I am almost 15
    Perfectly normal ime. Without getting all sanctimonious you are at the age where your brain is telling you to try anything and everything and the been there done that feeling cannot be ignored.

Give it a few years and you will get back into it. We've all been there.
  • welshkev
    MTB noob wrote:
    I live in Worthing, West Sussex which is why i originally thought that going to Fort William would be a stupid idea because of the cost.

ok, which is what, 2 hours by train to cwmcarn (for example)..really easy to get to and probably only 1 change.

when i was 14/15 i used to skateboard a lot and would think nothing of hopping on the train to bristol or wherever to go and skate some new ramps or skateparks.

i've never ridden around your area but i have an office in farnborough and have ridden there and compared to what else is around it's not exactly technical (please feel free to slate me if you disagree :wink: )

i think that's your problem, you need to try some 'real' mountain biking
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Mix it up, we all get bored of the same trail, same decent, try doing a bit of trials, street to freshen things up a bit, buy a cheap second hand bmx/dj and learn tricks etc, works for me I ride DH do DJ and now im trying to learn street, just keeps it intresting and all the skills are transferable to the trails.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    in short, use your imagination, find some new stuff to ride
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Go ride some stupider things, until you either find something you can't ride, or hurt yourself.
    Heal. Repeat.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    welshkev wrote:
    where are you from btw?

in a 10km radius of my house there's enough riding for me to probably ride a different trail every day for a month :? from full on DH to natural xc or even cwmcarn if i was to chuck a trail centre ride in.

But look at where you live vs the OP.

I've got a similar problem to the OP if I ride local stuff. There's no drops, no rocks, nothing in the way of real climbs or descents. Imagine mountain biking on a football pitch. It gets old, fast.

So I don't really bother. I know I won't enjoy it on the MTB so I get the miles in, mostly commuting, on the road bike. I've said it before, if I'm going to be bored I'd rather be bored at 25mph on my way to work than bored at 15mph after having spent an hour and a half driving to/from work. And I'm not that bored on the road bike. I'd rather be riding the MTB somewhere good, but I prefer the road bike to the car.

But then at the weekends, when I go somewhere interesting I enjoy the MTB much more. MTBing really is (for me anyway) very dependent on the terrain, much more than road biking.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    MTB noob wrote:

As i have been mountain biking for over a year now

I am almost 15 and now i have to wait for all my other friends when we go mountain biking (trying not to brag) and its getting rather boring. Also i have seen all the sights now within a 10 kilometre radius of my house. :|

Is there any solutions to this or am i becoming a emotionless potato? :?

Thanks. :mrgreen:
    so really you have only just started, sounds like you would be better off finding a club or a group of more experienced riders to tag along with, it might make things a bit more interesting for you
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I believe LSD is quite cheap and could make those boring rides seem a LOT more fun!

However drugs are bad so perhaps one of the following could help?

1) ride blindfold.

2) smack a large nest of bees/wasps with a stick, cover your face in honey and then race them.

3) rig up some small, mildly maiming IED's and get your friends to randomly place them around your trail.

4) stick lolly pop sticks to your seatstays with elastic bands so that they make a cool "clicka-clicka" noise. This will make you not only look cool, but go faster and be able to jump further and higher.<-- scientifically proven!

5) cut out life-sized cardboard pictures of your favourite celebrities and place them around your route. Then on your way to the trail you can have all kinds of fun spotting famous people and then make a thread about who you have spotted in Crudcatcher.
  • welshkev
    bails87 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    where are you from btw?

But look at where you live vs the OP.

I've got a similar problem to the OP if I ride local stuff. There's no drops, no rocks, nothing in the way of real climbs or descents. Imagine mountain biking on a football pitch. It gets old, fast.

yeah i completely appreciate that, that's why i asked where he was from. because if he lived somewhere like me and he was bored then he really should find another sport :lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ok, which is what, 2 hours by train to cwmcarn (for example)..really easy to get to and probably only 1 change.

Geography not your strong point? ;-)

You can double that, and I'd not bother for Cwmcarn, unless you have a guide for the natural stuff there's only the DH course and an hour's XC ride.

To the OP: what I would be doing would be riding the Surrey Hills/North Downs, train to Dorking/Box Hill and ride from there. Far more interesting than Stanmer.
  • welshkev
    njee20 wrote:

Geography not your strong point? ;-)

You can double that, and I'd not bother for Cwmcarn, unless you have a guide for the natural stuff there's only the DH course and an hour's XC ride.

To the OP: what I would be doing would be riding the Surrey Hills/North Downs, train to Dorking/Box Hill and ride from there. Far more interesting than Stanmer.

worthing - near brighton? isn't that 2 hours away? :lol:
  • MTB noob
    Brighton is 1 hr cycle away from Worthing but is a 20 minute drive.

Also, how can you stop brakes from squeaking if theyre designed for the wet but theyre in the dry?