Creaking ultra torque

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I have had a scan through the creaking thread, before someone mentions it!

The bottom bracket on my relatively new chorus crankset has got a really bad creak.

100% is the BB.
Took both apart and greased the bearings and it stop 150km later it's back again.
It seems to be more from the drive side.
I have swapped the wavey washer from one side to the other, didn't change anything.
Next thought is to try running without the little clip on the drive side cup.
BB is torqued to 40nm

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,564
    Was the BB shell faced before you installed the cups? Outboard bearing set-ups are very sensitive to this - takes only a tiny misalignment to cause creaky problems in some frames.

Don't remove the clip. Wave washer always on non-drive side.

Other (remote) possibility is the BB shell is fractionally too narrow. You might try a 0.5mm spacer between the NDS cup and the frame perhaps, although be *very* carfeul when tightening the crank bolt and make sure this does not over-pre-load the bearings. These spacers are used normally in MTB setups, so your LBS should have something appropriate.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • markwb79
    I havent changed the cups on the frame. They are still the same ones from my Centeur crankset. I thought they were all the same?

Thanks, I will put the washer back on the non drive side.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If the above does not help a second wavy washer on the NDS has sometimes helped. I would face the frame to be sure check pedal thread and coppaslip. Re fiteverything to campy's specs and if the creak returns fit the second wavy washer.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • markwb79
    Sorry, but what do you mean by 'face the frame to be sure check pedal thread and coppaslip'. ?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Sorry, but what do you mean by 'face the frame to be sure check pedal thread and coppaslip'. ?

facing and chasing a BB sorry to send you to the dark side but have a look

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12654663
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,877
    I am not impressed with outboard BB's it must be said... UT user myself and I just gave up on the ubiquitous creak and it went away.. go figure

tends to happen if at all after I replace the bearings...which is way too often if you ask me.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • nicklouse
    I am not impressed with outboard BB's it must be said... UT user myself and I just gave up on the ubiquitous creak and it went away.. go figure

tends to happen if at all after I replace the bearings...which is way too often if you ask me.

has the BB shell been faced? has it been checked? unfaced BB is the biggest cause of poor bearing life.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • markwb79
    I dont see how that would create the creaking in the BB though? Especially when I grease the bearing it goes away for a while?!
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Grease is just hiding the problem. Facing and chasing the BB shell makes ALL the difference to outboard bearing longevity.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • markwb79
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Grease is just hiding the problem. Facing and chasing the BB shell makes ALL the difference to outboard bearing longevity.

You mean before fitting the BB cups?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • mididoctors
    nicklouse wrote:

has the BB shell been faced? has it been checked? unfaced BB is the biggest cause of poor bearing life.

been throu all that cr4p a dozen times

the facing was done pro by the darlek

HOW-EVER

just to through in a curve ball if the threads are aligned in the shell the bearings end up parallel anyway
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

You mean before fitting the BB cups?

Yes.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mididoctors
    Markwb79 wrote:
    I have had a scan through the creaking thread, before someone mentions it!

The bottom bracket on my relatively new chorus crankset has got a really bad creak.

100% is the BB.
    Took both apart and greased the bearings and it stop 150km later it's back again.
    It seems to be more from the drive side.
    I have swapped the wavey washer from one side to the other, didn't change anything.
    Next thought is to try running without the little clip on the drive side cup.
    BB is torqued to 40nm

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFUN24ehy-k
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

been throu all that cr4p a dozen times

the facing was done pro by the darlek

HOW-EVER

just to through in a curve ball if the threads are aligned in the shell the bearings end up parallel anyway
    and are they? and you trust the Darleks?

and the amount of BBs i have faced to fix the early failed and creaking BB is stupid.
  • mididoctors
    nicklouse wrote:

and the [number] of BBs i had [too] face too [remedy] failed and creaking BB's is stupid.

translation?
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Campagnolo suggest using Loctite 222...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAHd2amwskU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4qzevaOWo

....but then again what would they know about it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Just had a creaky ultra torque in and I
    1) faced the BB shel and chased threads,
    2) put coppaslip on pedal threads as they were a bit dry
    3) removed chain ring bolt and greased (it surely would not have been them anyway)

Creak gone for now. No play in cranks so second washer is not needed.

To the OP have you checked your BB shell is in spec? 67.2mm - 68.8mm. If not this will cause issues.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • markwb79
    Not sure what you mean about my BB shell being in spec? It had a ultra torque crankset in before, this is just the new one?

Cheers for the 3 things you tried. I will certainly try all 3.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012